SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been searching up starter related threads and most point to the Neutral Safety Switch issue and I followed the bypass how-to to no avail. Jumped directly from battery to starter terminal and the started didn’t even make a noise, just a bunch of sparks. Battery keeps draining pretty fast so we came to the conclusion that there is either a bad battery or shorted starter. Got a call today telling me that the battery is good, so that leads me to believe I get to learn how to replace a starter.

So now for the questions I have for you guys;

-Since I’ve bypassed the ignition system and the battery has tested good, do you agree that it’s safe to assume the starter is toast?

-Any hints or links to replacing the starter on a 9-5 V6? I found one from “thesaabsite” which is pretty vague but better than nothing.

·
Registered
927 Posts
its a lovely tight spot to get into... When I swapped my motor, that was by far the hardest part of the swap, was getting to those 2 bolts.

I went from under the car, strait up from the rear exhaust manifold, used an extension so your on the far side of the manifold (furthest away from transmission) get that extension from one side and guide it strait in and you can get the bottom nut/bolt from there, the top nut is a little easier to get to but still will need and extension and A LOT OF PATIENCE :cheesy:

Once the 2 nuts/bolts are lose, you can undo the power connections to the starter and slide it out and up...

just read the saabsite instrustions and they are strait foreward. I forgot about the alternator connections because I had my alternator out when I put the starter in

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reassurance, NAPA seems to have a fair price on a replacement so I’m going to go ahead and replace this weekend hopefully. I thought a Saturn had a tight spot starter, this is by far a bigger challenge.

·
Registered
927 Posts
oh ya, they crammed it in there good. This was/is the hardest part to access, besides the alternator being a pain to get out. Besides those 2 parts, everything else is a breeze on these cars

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success! I was able to get it out within an hour, wasn't nearly as painful as I was expecting. Two main puzzle pieces were as mentioned, disconnecting everything downstream of the starter wiring so the harness can be pulled above the starter and freeing up the steel wire support bracket so the wiring can be moved first to the passenger side to get the power terminal off, then back to the driver side to pull the harness/bracket up and out of the way so the starter can be pulled out from above. The blind bolt was no where near as bad as one would think, I believe I used a 6" extension and there's a rib in just the right spot to push against with the ratchet to break the bolt.

It barely turned when bench tested so that was the biggest sigh of relief knowing I pulled the right part.

·
Registered
927 Posts
glad you got it with ease... I think it was difficult because I did my motor swap rogue, no manual no instruction nothing, just disconnect and go :cheesy:

learned a lot though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts