SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well well, i finally have to Replace the starter in my 99 Turbo, from just looking at the job it looks like a bloody knuckle job.

So fellows, what is the best way to go about changing the starter? Is it best to go from the bottom or top?? what do i have to move out of the way besides the battery box? How cut up are my hands goin to get? Thanks Guys!
I know this is goin to be a fun one!

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I've been looking at mine while the engine is apart and thinking "should i replace that now?". It does look like a fun job.

I'm not sure on the easiest way to do it, but i can tell you that there are 4 fixings for it. 2 allan headed bolts with nuts that go through from behind the plastic clutch cover, and 2 bolts that hold the back of the starter that go straight into the block.
So to take the starter out you will definately need to remove the clutch cover - which means taking to to and from turbo pipes off too.
If you took this apart, and also took the battery tray out you might have enough space to remove the starter from the top.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I remember changing it on my B-series 99 (non-turbo) and that was a bloody-knuckle and swearing job, so it should be even more fun on the 99T :eek:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I did the job on my 99T not that long ago - definitely go from the top. It didn't take that long and it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated, but it did require a really good dose of terrible language :cheesy:

I took out the battery tray, the to and from turbo plumbing and the plastic clutch cover and that was enough to get the job done.

G'luck,

Miles

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I have now ordered a replacement one to go in mine while its still apart ;)

Mine didnt spin ocassionally.

Ive given up trying to save money now! :roll: - Though it was cheaper than i thought!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts