SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'99 Saab 9-3 SE 3/4 DIN radio pocket

Hello Saab Central Forum,

This is my first post and I sincerely hope I can get some advice from the community. College student here looking to overhaul audio system due to people who love to pump bass more than targeted political ads love to skew relevant data and because the built in radio is a...chore. With that said, first step is replacing the radio..which needs one of those nifty pockets for an aftermarket setup. Challenge accepted.

Great, I will research. Great, GenuineSaab and PartsforSaab have the perfect parts. Not so great, Saab parts do not agree very well with 2012 consumers due to some hubaloo oversea. Both places have the pocket on back order with no time estimate on when they will be available. I then resorted to my knowledge of Google's impressive search query methods to hash out some alternatives. Besides everyone pointing to now out of stock items, some disagreements over the actually height due to the cup holder, and people who ended up finding universal adapters that they just shoved in Chuck Norris style...I found not much helpful.

I almost considered ending my quest for a pocket then and there, but when I want a damn radio I'll get one. So perhaps the more experienced and wizened users of the SaabCentral community can provide a little advice. :cheesy:

tldr; All of the '99 Saab 9-3 SE 3/4 DIN radio pockets for aftermarket radios seem to be out of stock. Does anyone know of an in stock source or an alternative?

PS: I just read over that post and my attempts at being funky fresh just make me sounds like a tool. Too lazy to change it now.

·
Registered
417 Posts
PS: I just read over that post and my attempts at being funky fresh just make me sounds like a tool. Too lazy to change it now.

Too lazy to help you now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read somewhere that the radio is 1.5 DIN and not a double DIN.
If my understanding on my research is correct, my model is a double DIN but the cup holder is filling some of that space.

GenuineSaab has the perfect (out of stock) part with photo:
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/...d=212&osCsid=7270f577fd1998ed4542c83a55239cbf

Seems that a single DIN radio with 3/4 pocket is the perfect modification. The cup holder can also be removed for the double DIN affect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Example

I read somewhere that the radio is 1.5 DIN and not a double DIN.
Falcon, if my understanding of my research is correct then it is actually a double DIN but the cup holder takes some of that space.

GenuineSaab has the perfect (out of stock) part and photo:
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/...d=212&osCsid=7270f577fd1998ed4542c83a55239cbf

So a single DIN radio, 3/4 DIN pocket, and 1/4 cup holder fit like a glove. Alternatively, the cup holder can be removed for the double DIN effect.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think it's actually 1 3/4 Din - I got lazy and just didn't bother to install my double DIN unit - I ended up buying a DIN unit and have my DD up for sale.

It's quite a job to put a doble din unit in. You have to remove the SID & cage, cut out the horizontal polycarbonate piece below the SID and trim the bottom of the radio opening to fit.

Genuinesaab sells a pocket that fills the 3/4 DIN opening. I will be ordering that soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it is functionally a 1 3/4 DIN due to the cup-holder. 1 DIN radio + 3/4 DIN pocket + 1/4 DIN cup-holder is what GenuineSaab recommends. However, the cup-holder can be removed to achieve double DIN and it's a fairly useless cup-holder anyway.

I was also worried about getting a frame of sorts but it seems that the assorted pieces just slide into the framework then covers that come with an aftermarket radio can make it flush. That is my understanding at least.

So I have edited the name of the thread to 3/4 DIN pocket since that seems to be the issue. I'll see if i can find a 3/4 DIN pocket online. I also found Crutchfield which might have exactly what I need, although the reviews of their receiver kit say it still requires that you cut part of it off to make it fit.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I dunno guys....

I have a DD in my 2000 Viggen... and I have the cup holder in there...
Its actually called an ED european Din size... its like 1&9/10 ... very very very small amount of trimming to make it fit...

Ryan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys. It sounds like I will just have to accept to trimming to make this work since GenuineSaab doesn't have the part in stock.

I just purchased a receiver and fit kit from Crutchfield. It isn't optimal and will require some trimming but at least it is "made for my car". I will post results here once everything is squared away, just in case others are interested in the resolution.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
I just purchased a receiver and fit kit from Crutchfield. It isn't optimal and will require some trimming but at least it is "made for my car". I will post results here once everything is squared away, just in case others are interested in the resolution.
My car came with a standard-size cheapo replacement radio (half DIN or whatever that would be) and some aftermarket pocket (definitely not a Genuine anything). That fit okay, but when I took out the cheapo Sony Xplod and put in my Blaupunkt, I had to file the heck out of the pocket lip to get it to fit. Still isn't very good, but it's good enough.

Filing plastic isn't fun....

·
Registered
24 Posts
My car came with a standard-size cheapo replacement radio (half DIN or whatever that would be) and some aftermarket pocket (definitely not a Genuine anything). That fit okay, but when I took out the cheapo Sony Xplod and put in my Blaupunkt, I had to file the heck out of the pocket lip to get it to fit. Still isn't very good, but it's good enough.

Filing plastic isn't fun....
As far as I know, there's no such thing as a 1/2 din radio. I have seen 1/2 din equalizers, processors, and pockets though.

This might help with visuals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of a Double Din radio installed into a 99-2002 9-3? I currently have a single din with a pocket, but would like a double din (I don't like the look of the pocket...as functional as it is). I had just assumed that the hole was a double din hole, it would be interested to know for sure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Possibly a bit off topic (feel free to flog me later), but on the GenuineSaab site, I read this: "Steering controls can be integrated with an adaptor box. The wired peripheral brand works well." I have never seen such a thing, but it would be pretty cool!

I have the pocket with a 1 DIN now, without the factory radio supporting the cupholder, the cupholder is even more useless now. If you put anything heavy-ish (like, a can of soda which just sloshes all over the dash anyways so I don't bother) in the holder, it bends the pocket down.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Possibly a bit off topic (feel free to flog me later), but on the GenuineSaab site, I read this: "Steering controls can be integrated with an adaptor box. The wired peripheral brand works well." I have never seen such a thing, but it would be pretty cool!
This what I'm using and it works very well.
http://retailer.installernet.com/pr...3230&sid=3349CEBC-FCCC-489D-8CE9-5CA75D719E17
their support says that it doesn't work. It does, but it has to be manually programmed, also if you press the horn, the radio does turn down. :lol: I have a support ticket in with them to try and get the saab 9-3 supported.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts