SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an great old 93 that has the issue of having exhaust fumes come into the cabin ( through the interior vents) when the HVAC/heater fan is turned on. Any help on where to look for a leak, grommet etc. The exhaust was replaced from the cat back a year ago. There are no exhaust fumes otherwise - just when the interior blower fan is turned on. has 100k miles - still runs great!

·
Super Moderator
9,465 Posts
there must a leak if fumes are being sucked into the cabin when the fan is on..

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’ve had exhaust studs break on the turbo where it attaches to the downpipe. I’d check there first. Then maybe the downpipe flex section

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is it exhaust or gas smell? I've seen compromised exhaust manifold gaskets, bad flex union gaskets, and even fuel smell coming up from under the rear seats (but that's because I had a leak and also made a trap door to replace the fuel pump since they were not kind enough to carry that feature over from the c900s). Does the engine smell rich with the hood up and running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it exhaust or gas smell? I've seen compromised exhaust manifold gaskets, bad flex union gaskets, and even fuel smell coming up from under the rear seats (but that's because I had a leak and also made a trap door to replace the fuel pump since they were not kind enough to carry that feature over from the c900s). Does the engine smell rich with the hood up and running?
Don't notice a rich smell there is a gasket from the valve cover that connects to a metal pipe that has come off the cover but this has been like this for awhile. It looks like the small rubber hose is cracked too. But again no smell unless the fan for the AC or heat is on blowing in the interior of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
I would start by replacing the obviously broken stuff, and then see if the issue persists. A non-functional PCV system is all bad news - even if it's not the cause of the smell, you shouldn't run the car this way.

·
Registered
Saab 9-3 Saloon 2010 1.9TiD 120.000 km
7 Posts
Hi I have an great old 93 that has the issue of having exhaust fumes come into the cabin ( through the interior vents) when the HVAC/heater fan is turned on. Any help on where to look for a leak, grommet etc. The exhaust was replaced from the cat back a year ago. There are no exhaust fumes otherwise - just when the interior blower fan is turned on. has 100k miles - still runs great!
I have the exact same problem. I have 9-3 diesel 2010. I can smell exhaust when driving slowly or parked idling. I believe it started when "limited performance" message appeared on the screen. Whatever is wrong, I will have it fixed in three weeks by mechanic that used to be servicing Saab and therefore knows them pretty well, I can let you know what is my case with my car if you haven't already found out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same problem in one of my 93OG 2001, after going crazy trying to find the cause, the culprit was a loose SUMP, the previous owner's mechanic was unable to fix the PCV ventilation issue which is easily solved with the PCV2 upgrade kit, to solve it they had the sump loose to allow gases to escape! -- such stupids, the car leaked oil on top of the exhaust pipe and all the smoke went up to the cabin filter into the cabin....took down the SUMP cleaned it, suction pipe was almost clogged, put new o-rings to suction and crosspipe, and installed PCV2 kit, the car's engine was completely renewed with help of a good friend of mine who was chief Mechanic at SAAB dealership in Mexico City. I hope this gets you in the right direction.
Cheers!

·
Registered
10,268 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I have 9-3 diesel 2010. I can smell exhaust when driving slowly or parked idling. I believe it started when "limited performance" message appeared on the screen. Whatever is wrong, I will have it fixed in three weeks by mechanic that used to be servicing Saab and therefore knows them pretty well, I can let you know what is my case with my car if you haven't already found out.
You have clogged diesel particle filter (DPF) in exhaust.
You need TECH2 (or some version of opcom) to make forced cleaning burn.

When you smell exhaust and/or feel idle going higher than normal or even feel hesitating, drive 10-15 km continuously.
This is particle filter cleaning burning and when it stop, it is OK.
Usually you notice it when you look at DTE reading, it collapses during combustion.
If you shut engine, burning will not continue automatically and filter keeps clogging.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Mimmi, were the diesel versions of any flavor of saab available in the USA? I've never run across any but would find them interesting to own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts