SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedometer (and odometer) on my 1999 9-3 Convertible stopped working a few months ago. It is accompanied by the ABS / Brake warning lights on the dash. For a while it would work for the first drive of the morning and then not again that day. I suspect that it's a wheel sensor, but which one should I look at first? Is there a way to test them without an oscilloscope?

Cheers.

-bill k

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The speedo/abs issue is commonly a symptom of a failed ABS module. They're quite easy to remove, car can be driven without the module in place and there are a couple reasonable rebuilding services for them.

Of course, if available, a used from a breakers yard is also an option.

I think it's commonly believed that the left rear sensor is the one used for the vehicles speed, it's a bit arduous, but swapping the left and right rear hubs might be an option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. What part of the ABS module would need replacement (entire pump, etc.?) and why would that affect the speedo? I've got a comparable parts car at the local "Pick-n-Pull" and can scavenge the right part if I know what to look for. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The ABS module is the black plastic cased bit bolted to the front of the ABS valve block (the thing near the fuse box with the hard brake pipes sticking out the top. Electrical plug is low at it's front.

Think it's only 4 screws on each corner and the module slides forward off the ABS solenoids. Look for an anti rattle shim sandwiched between the module and valve block.

All 4 of the ABS sensors are wired directly to the ABS module, that module then reports vehicle speed to the rest of the car's systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts