SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdee..., New to this forum and looking for some help with getting my serp. belt aligned on the tensioner. I recently replaced my top idler for the second time within 12,000 miles so I also replaced the tensioner pulley this time since it seemed to have a little play thinking this may have added to the failure of the top idler.

Before doing this the belt was tracking off the outer edge of the tensioner pulley and wearing out the outside of the top idler pulley. Replaced both with Scan-Tech parts. Still doing the same thing. Am I missing a shim/spacer or something?

The alternator and crank pulleys are on either side of the tensioner. The alternator had no play in it. Do the crank pulley/balancers go bad?? Help!! ;oops:

·
Registered
595 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the whole tensioner needs to be replaced. The arm has a white plastic bushing that it pivots on, and it has worn out and has let the arm bend out a bit and allow the belt to ride a bit farther out on the pulley. I went through this same thing last year........ All better now.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That makes sense. I've got the new tensioner ordered and I'll see how it goes. :cool:

I also found this site with all metal top idler pulleys for Saabs.

http://wazeepulleys.com

They look well made and aren't much more than the cheepy plastic ones. I wish I had found these before I replaced mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Success!! :cheesy: Put the new tensioner on this morning and the belt is tracking perfectly. Thanks for the tip Eric because after looking at the old tensioner, before I just replaced the pulley, it "looked" fine. I guess under load it was a different situation.

My only other comment would be that if anyone is replacing a worn out uper idler pulley make sure your belt has been tracking correctly and not being side loaded from the tensioner going bad.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
This is good info for sharp eyed mechanics and owners.

The belts being worn and probably frayed on the edge is indicative of a worn pulley or bad tensioner.

With 150K on my '96, I think I'll replace the tensioner and idler pulley - when I do the short belt conversion......I think these parts were replaced at 100K ??
I'll have to check the records.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts