SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at the u-pull today when I saw a '99 9-5 T7 with the hood up. The charge air pipe was an aluminum mandrel bent thing of beauty. Photo below.
Well, more beautiful than the black plastic that adorns the OG 9-3 T7.

Was this standard on the 9-5 4 cyl? The EPC isn't very clear although I see a change of pipe in 2001. Was this used on the 9-5 throughout the run? Or did they change in 2002 to a plastic version? The part numbers appear to match the Viggen T7 but I'm not aware of the Viggen ever having anything other than a plastic pipe.

I had (have) thoughts of retrofitting it to my OG9-3. It looks like it ends up in the same place as the standard OG9-3 plastic pipe. Anyone know if it fits? . Also, I don't see a fitting for the brake line vacuum port like on the T7 intake at the TB. Did it use a different solution for that? Or is that an automatic/manual transmission difference that I'm unfamiliar with?

Lastly , it looks like the rubber elbow that attaches it to the throttle body is NLS - not even listed with a part #. Is there something after market that 9-5 guys use for that when it gets degraded? I didn't pull this one, but it didn't look spectacular in condition

Thanks,

·
Registered
842 Posts
I didn’t know they were standard on early 9-5s. I’ve never seen other than plastic. I wonder whether the elbow is the same part as on the 9000. A couple of outfits manufacture metal pipes for increased volume,

and I believe I’ve seen silicone elbows. The two diameters on the elbow differ unfortunately, otherwise sourcing a 90 deg. bend would be easier.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Yes, the early 9-5's had the aluminum charge air pipe that was later changed to the single piece plastic one. It is kind of cool looking but I don't think you could go "backwards" from a plastic one to this because the sensors changed and the wiring for them was different. (and if you have a manual transmission there is no port there for the brake servo vacuum since the 99 had an electric vacuum pump in front of the battery)

·
Registered
17,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. My biggest concern is the missing vac port. I wonder what guys who are custom silicone and pipe updates are doing for that (?).

Maybe the best route to solve two problems would be a throttle body head from a later T7 coupled to this pipe with a rubber/silicone fitting so that the vac port is retained and you get around replacing the old coupler.

I'll look into the sensor line up... I can get two of them side by side at the yard and compare.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
I've heard that the plastic pipes flow better than the old metal ones. At the very least, you don't have the rubber elbow at the throttle body end to disrupt the airflow.

Bob, what year is your 9-3? The manual transmission versions didn't have the brake booster hooked up to the charge air pipe until sometime later in the production run, like 2001 or 2002. I wouldn't think this would be an issue for most years of the 9-3 if you did want to retrofit it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
In the US the 1999's already were switching/switched over to the plastic air pipes - a plastic intake pipe was on the 1999 SE 2.3lpt I had. Look at Platonoff's DIY for replacing transmission mount ("search SAAB Platonoff") - his car had the metal intake pipe.

·
Registered
17,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't see the plastic pipe flowing better. I will post some photos of the metal pipe later to show why. I've heard that the plastic pipe stays cooler, although some wrap would eliminate that issue, if I care.

I did grab the pipe yesterday while getting some other parts. There are some differences in the sensor mount that will need to be accommodated. I will post the photos here for the curious, then probably move the discussion / mod over to the OG9-3 forum. I'll post a reference back here since later 9-5 folks might want to consider the same update once you see the pipe differences.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was at the u-pull today when I saw a '99 9-5 T7 with the hood up. The charge air pipe was an aluminum mandrel bent thing of beauty. Photo below.
Well, more beautiful than the black plastic that adorns the OG 9-3 T7.

Was this standard on the 9-5 4 cyl? The EPC isn't very clear although I see a change of pipe in 2001. Was this used on the 9-5 throughout the run? Or did they change in 2002 to a plastic version? The part numbers appear to match the Viggen T7 but I'm not aware of the Viggen ever having anything other than a plastic pipe.

I had (have) thoughts of retrofitting it to my OG9-3. It looks like it ends up in the same place as the standard OG9-3 plastic pipe. Anyone know if it fits? . Also, I don't see a fitting for the brake line vacuum port like on the T7 intake at the TB. Did it use a different solution for that? Or is that an automatic/manual transmission difference that I'm unfamiliar with?

Lastly , it looks like the rubber elbow that attaches it to the throttle body is NLS - not even listed with a part #. Is there something after market that 9-5 guys use for that when it gets degraded? I didn't pull this one, but it didn't look spectacular in condition

Thanks,
Hey Bob, I'm on Cape Cod and can you tell me the pick and pull you were at. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts