SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...how would this combo be?

I can get the full Eibach Pro Kit package which includes the springs and dampers too. But, I think maybe I should spend just a bit more, and get the bilstein sport shocks separately. Would these work well with the eibach springs? How are they different from the normal Bilstein HD shocks? Are they just shorter, since they are made to work with lowering springs, or are they stiffer as well?

Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have the B&G and bilstein sports
They are re-valved and shorter struts.
they feel awesome, BTW

I was a little worried, because the B&G's aren't progressive-wound, but I do like them a LOT.

For the extra money, the bilsteins are 100% worth it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
G96nt said:
I have the B&G and bilstein sports
They are re-valved and shorter struts.
they feel awesome, BTW

I was a little worried, because the B&G's aren't progressive-wound, but I do like them a LOT.

For the extra money, the bilsteins are 100% worth it.
So you don't find your setup to be too harsh for MA roads? I'll probably be driving in similar conditions...and I assume that the eibachs are similar to the B&G's, maybe just a tad softer.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
not yet!

I have to get it aligned this week, but it seems like it'll be fine.
the springs and bilsteins REALLY made the car stiffen up.

feels solid like my ol' 9000Ti did

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WyldSaabMan said:
i thought the eibach dampers were just rebaged bilsteins......Or so i heard
I heard they were rebaged OE shocks, with valving changed to suit the springs. I believe I read this on eibach's site. So, for the 9-3, that would be...sachs or boge I think??

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
mg_td said:
wheres stromer when you need him? he just put the same setup on his car.
yo yo yo

I heard nothing good about the Eibach dampers. I put lots of effort into researching this an felt that the Eiback springs and Bilstein shocks was the best value. Here's why:

Eibach springs:

These seem to be the most popular by people on here. I weight SCers opinions very heavily. I called Chris of MP and he backed them up 100%. (I originally ordered from him, but as it was beginning to take 2 weeks for them to get here, I went to a different place that the last minute, but anyways...) They lower 1.2". I didn't want any more of a lowering than this, and I'm glad I didn't go with anything else. The $250 seemed pretty good. It wasn't really any cheaper than the other brands, but wasn't a lot more either.

Bilstein shocks:

Well I contemplated the Koni's and let me tell you, I really wanted them. But then I figured that the extra money they would cost would pay for the spring/damper install. (Yes, I typically am a DIY, but somethings are better left to professionals) I also contemplated the KYB's, but I wasn't quite sold on their reputation. The Bilsteins seemd well received, and a good deal. I ordered these from shox.com and they came to 435 with shipping accross the country.

Driving impressions:

It is really hard to find words to describe it. I now have the said springs, capmers, MP 22mm rear sway, MP clamp, brace, and subframe brace. Body roll is non-existance. The ride gets a little rough, but then again I am in Maine during frost-heave season.

I highly reccomend this set-up!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stromer said:
yo yo yo

I heard nothing good about the Eibach dampers. I put lots of effort into researching this an felt that the Eiback springs and Bilstein shocks was the best value. Here's why:

Eibach springs:

These seem to be the most popular by people on here. I weight SCers opinions very heavily. I called Chris of MP and he backed them up 100%. (I originally ordered from him, but as it was beginning to take 2 weeks for them to get here, I went to a different place that the last minute, but anyways...) They lower 1.2". I didn't want any more of a lowering than this, and I'm glad I didn't go with anything else. The $250 seemed pretty good. It wasn't really any cheaper than the other brands, but wasn't a lot more either.

Bilstein shocks:

Well I contemplated the Koni's and let me tell you, I really wanted them. But then I figured that the extra money they would cost would pay for the spring/damper install. (Yes, I typically am a DIY, but somethings are better left to professionals) I also contemplated the KYB's, but I wasn't quite sold on their reputation. The Bilsteins seemd well received, and a good deal. I ordered these from shox.com and they came to 435 with shipping accross the country.

Driving impressions:

It is really hard to find words to describe it. I now have the said springs, capmers, MP 22mm rear sway, MP clamp, brace, and subframe brace. Body roll is non-existance. The ride gets a little rough, but then again I am in Maine during frost-heave season.

I highly reccomend this set-up!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey man. If I go through with this, we'll have the exact same setup...minus the subframe brace. I have the sway bar, and steering rack clamp and brace.

2 questions -

1- How do you feel the subframe brace affected things? Did it make it feel anymore solid? And, is this the MP brace, or the 6 point one from Taliaferro?

2 - How much was your install?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The subframe brace is from MP, and doesn't seem to really help all that much. But, you know the terribly squeaking that Saabs make in cold weather from the front suspension? The bar seemed to all but elliminate that noise. I found this very odd, as the two components don't seem to be related at all. But if it elliminated the squeak, then it must be firming things up somewhat.

The instal was $276. It was 3 hours, at $65 per hour, then an allignment (pretty much a mandatory) $54.99, a few shop supplies and tax. It was done at the VIP. Normally I wouldn't trust them to check my tire preasue, but they were the only place that could get me in anytime soon, install somebody else's products, and work on Saabs. Plus they let me watch in the garage. I can say I helped, because I held one wrench in the wheelwell, as the mechanic tightened on the strut mounts under the hood :cheesy:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stromer said:
The subframe brace is from MP, and doesn't seem to really help all that much. But, you know the terribly squeaking that Saabs make in cold weather from the front suspension? The bar seemed to all but elliminate that noise. I found this very odd, as the two components don't seem to be related at all. But if it elliminated the squeak, then it must be firming things up somewhat.

The instal was $276. It was 3 hours, at $65 per hour, then an allignment (pretty much a mandatory) $54.99, a few shop supplies and tax. It was done at the VIP. Normally I wouldn't trust them to check my tire preasue, but they were the only place that could get me in anytime soon, install somebody else's products, and work on Saabs. Plus they let me watch in the garage. I can say I helped, because I held one wrench in the wheelwell, as the mechanic tightened on the strut mounts under the hood :cheesy:
I certainly know the cold weather creak hehe. Maybe it was partially caused by flex in the subframe, which the brace eliminated. If all it does is that, its still worth it..its pretty cheap.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I really can't see how it couldn't help, you know? The only reason why you wouldn't want to spend any money on it is if you plan on doing the 6-pt. Now that has gotta help a ton!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Stromer,

Can you elaborate a bit about what you didn't like - or didn't find in your research - about the Eibach dampers? I'm overdue for a suspension upgrade on my '01 9-3, and I was 99% sold on the Eibach Pro-System-Plus that I found on DriveWire.com for the (too-good-to-be-true?) price of $570! See http://www.drivewire.com/performanceparts/eibach/saab9.3prosystemkit.html

I can't speak for SAABturboDRIVR, but for this price, I'd be willing to sacrifice a smidgen of ride quality to save what seems to be a big chunk of change on parts. I don't plan on doing any rallys on the way back and forth to work, though, so I imagine I might not notice the difference, but certainly your opinion is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Alright, so you say difference in price. Right. I figure it works out to $250 to $400, so $650 all together. So we're saying $90 more. I don't consider that a huge price differance for something that should last you a very long time, maybe forever.

I guess the main reason I decided the pro-system was a no-go was for one I couldn't get it. Every place I called said it was unavailable. So check that out. And Chris at MP said that the Eibach dampers were very inferior to even the KYB's. I can't remember if it was him or somebody else who said they were just rebadges of another damper company. Basically I hadn't heard very good things about them.

And then I compared this to the raves about the Bilsteins. That sold me.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
oh and if you wanna see how it looks, here ya go:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
coughwhorecough:cheesy: ive been known to do the same at any opportunity. that does look quite nice. where was that taken?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
pineland in gray, mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts