SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've been looking into the TD04 upgrade from the Garrett turbo in my 99 9-3 SE 'vert. I'm planning on following the instructions from platanoff to do the upgrade, but I had a few questions I couldn't seem to find explicit answers through searching.

My current plan is to go to the junkyard and pull a used turbo out and get it rebuilt (seems to be a much better & reliable option compared to the cheap eBay knockoffs). It sounds like anything from a Viggen or an SE with a HOT motor from for model years 00-03 will have the turbo I'm looking for... I'm curious if newer Aero models will also have the bolt-on turbo with the same flanges, or is it different? Trying to see what models I can set up alerts for to pull the turbo out of.

Anyone know if the inlet pipe from GenuineSaab used in the platanoff guide is required if I'm pulling from a junkyard? That is, if I'm already pulling a turbo out of a 9-3 HOT for example, can I take it's inlet pipe as well, or do I need the aftermarket one?

Last questions... I haven't seen any definitive information regarding new injectors/fuel pumps for this turbo. Are they a necessary upgrade prior to upgrading the turbo? Or do stock ones keep up, or is it really dependent on my tune and what real-time monitors are telling me at WOT?

Any help appreciated, I've done a lot of research and I think these are my last few sticking points before pulling the trigger.

FWIW I have a 3" full turbo-back exhaust if that affects any answers... Not sure if I need much more prior to this upgrade (I will be getting a new tune to handle the new turbo of course)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi guys,
I've been looking into the TD04 upgrade from the Garrett turbo in my 99 9-3 SE 'vert. I'm planning on following the instructions from platanoff to do the upgrade, but I had a few questions I couldn't seem to find explicit answers through searching.

My current plan is to go to the junkyard and pull a used turbo out and get it rebuilt (seems to be a much better & reliable option compared to the cheap eBay knockoffs). It sounds like anything from a Viggen or an SE with a HOT motor from for model years 00-03 will have the turbo I'm looking for... I'm curious if newer Aero models will also have the bolt-on turbo with the same flanges, or is it different? Trying to see what models I can set up alerts for to pull the turbo out of.

Anyone know if the inlet pipe from GenuineSaab used in the platanoff guide is required if I'm pulling from a junkyard? That is, if I'm already pulling a turbo out of a 9-3 HOT for example, can I take it's inlet pipe as well, or do I need the aftermarket one?

Last questions... I haven't seen any definitive information regarding new injectors/fuel pumps for this turbo. Are they a necessary upgrade prior to upgrading the turbo? Or do stock ones keep up, or is it really dependent on my tune and what real-time monitors are telling me at WOT?

Any help appreciated, I've done a lot of research and I think these are my last few sticking points before pulling the trigger.

FWIW I have a 3" full turbo-back exhaust if that affects any answers... Not sure if I need much more prior to this upgrade (I will be getting a new tune to handle the new turbo of course)
Are those instructions from platanoff about how to upgrade the turbo internals?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Arashi Dynamics has a few turbo options for around $650. Idk how that’s compares to a rebuilt turbo. I believe Arashi is pretty good quality, I’m planning on buying one of theirs at some point.
Edit: spelling

·
Registered
806 Posts
You can find the td04-15t turbo on quite a few cars, Viggen and HOT 9-3 as you listed but also later 9000s, first gen 9-5s. The ideal unit is from a 97-98 9000 CSE which has a different exhaust housing with a larger path for gas to flow, search for 'td04 6cm' to go down that rabbit hole. Later 9-5s also came with a different style compressor housing which lets you use a higher flowing inlet pipe,searching 'king cobra inlet' will get you more info on that.

You'll want the water and oil lines from the junkyard turbo, including the oil drain. Get the inlet pipe and the rubber hose which connects it to the airbox.

The Taliaferro pipe makes the inlet part of the project a bit more plug and play but it's not essential. I've got a car with each style piping, check out the pictures and you can see how different the configurations are. You will need to do some driveway engineering to get that set up without the Taliferro part.

As far as performance boost, just installing this turbo will get you NOTHING! The performance characteristics between the Garrett and TD04 in stock configuration are very similar, the ECU will take a few hours of driving to adapt to the boost response of the different turbo but will make adjustments and you will be more or less back where you started. A basic tune with your stock turbo will get you much more bang for your buck, if you haven't upgraded the intercooler yet that would be another worthwhile modification before you start changing turbos.

The real benefit to this swap is that you can source the 'upgraded' td04 parts, like exhaust housing and inlet pipe, much easier. The '-15t' in the labelling of the td04 refers to the compressor wheel, you can find larger (16t 18t 19t) compressor wheels stock on some Volvos which again makes upgrading the td04 with junkyard parts easy.

Edit: forgot the pictures 3816 is the factory set up for the Garrett turbo, should look familiar. 3812 is a TD04 set up, you can see the metal pipe is much longer and the recirc hose and crankcase vent attach differently.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
+1 for the ECU tune and intercooler upgrade.

I have the Arashi td04-19t and it’s been running great for a year.

Download T5suite or T7suite to match your ECU and you can start logging data. Check your injector duty cycle, I’m still on stock injectors and pump but hit 99% at the top end.

Get a wide band O2 sensor so you can see what your AFR is doing.

Check your intake air temp. WOT pulls with the stock IC show how inefficient it is, I was hitting 70 degrees C with one pull.

Be careful it’s a deep rabbit hole, but so much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
I might have almost everything you need for the a stock TD04 turbo setup if you go that route: turbo, lines, cobra & hose, etc, but I won't know that for a a week or two. I have to check all the detailed stuff. I have a TD04 that's in reasonable running shape and one that's cheaper that definitely needs a rebuild (no blade contact, but too much play). The lines I have to figure out.

If you just want to watch for cars, an OG 9-3 SE is the golden goose for you. Turbo, lines, intercooler, hoses... everything is bolt on perhaps except for the intake going from T7 style to T5 airbox. I think Nick has that covered.

You can use the standard inlet pipe off a GT 17 or TD04 from any OG9-3 or early 9-5, they're all the same. If you can find an '06 to '08 9-5 Aero, you can source the super king cobra and cold side off of that. Or go with the GS pipe, maybe that simplifies the change back to a T5 airbox? The later 9-5 (2006+) has a variation in how the PCV line comes in (push in vs. banjo) but otherwise the turbo and inlet are plug-n-play if you get the TD04 lines. Nick's 3812 photo is the newer type PCV on the OG 9-5 super king. The TD04 that came on the OG9-3 and 9-5 before 2006 uses a banjo bolt.

You can use the stock intercooler off an OG9-3 SE as a bolt in crossflow. You want the hoses too. If you're into spending more money and/or "many pulls of power", you can get an ETS, DO88, etc. You still want the stock hoses (or buy DO88's expensive ones). The other choice is an Ebay bar-n-plate IC and custom piping.

You can use the same injectors, fuel pump, etc up to stage 3. So unless you're going big, no concerns there. If you decide to go the -19T route, then maybe injectors, FPR, pump, etc. Find a TD04 with the 6cm exhaust hosing (9000 Aero, manual) is a bit of looking for a unicorn. If you go 19t and don't have at least a 6cm housing you'll need to have the wheel clipped... time for Gpop to build you a custom 19t from your core.

If you tell us what state you are in, we might be able to suggest a local tuner. There are also reputable guys doing it by mail or one of the commercial tuners.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had thought I could replace the garrett with the td04-15t and get more power with a stage3 that way, and then when upgrading and rebuilding to the 19t I'd probably be doing fuel upgrades and potentially the forged pistons and all that goes with that, but it sounds like the 15t doesn't make much a difference is that true?

I currently have the stage2 tune from BCB, not sure if after replacing the turbo I need to have it tuned locally or the stage3 from them with the td04 is any good, thats kind of what I was leaning towards because I like the stage2 so far.

It's weird that my 9-3SE doesn't have the crossflow intercooler, is that because it's a convertible? Yeah i've seen the tubing alone costs like 250$ so I'm planning on trying to grab that from a car that came with the crossflow as well, we'll see how lucky I can get.

I live in CO also

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well today at the junkyard I managed to get a TD04-15T + inlet pipe as well as crossflow intercooler with tubing from an '01 9-3 SE with I think 118k miles, so that's exciting. I can feel a little bit of axial play in the turbo although the fins look good. So I think it needs to be rebuilt and maybe balanced - I'm not sure if it's worth paying for that if I think I'm going to go the 19t route down the road, depends if the 15t has any difference off the stock Garrett or not. I might be able to do it myself. Any advice on whether this is worth the effort or should I just build straight to 19t?

I'm missing two pieces from the donor car unfortunately, one is the tube that goes from the turbo into the intercooler, I have it but it has a gouge from someone before me, hoping I can bring it into NAPA and they can size/shape match it, not sure how well that works. The other is the PCV pipe that comes out of the inlet pipe. I think that's what it's called? It's the metal pipe that comes up and goes around the left of the head towards to throttle body.

Any chance anyone knows the part numbers to these two pipes?

Anyway this is getting pretty exciting, I'm only a few pieces away I think/

Edit: I've got the turbo -> intercooler hose on order that was cut... Now I just need the metal pipe that goes from the crankcase to the turbo inlet pipe. It seems like it's part of the PCV system, but I cannot find it nor could any of the autoshops I tried going to today. It appears it's shorter than the original one and I might be able to modify mine to work, but it'd be nice to just have the right one. Can't seem to find it on the WIS either!

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
I might have a spare one of those pipes. I will check. Should be in the EPC if you want a part #.

TD04-15T makes a big difference over T25, it's a nice turbo, but you will need a tune. You should have it matched to your hardware. Without a tune it will make little difference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went back to the junkyard... Got the entire PCV piping setup from the '01 SE. Now I just need the turbo -> intercooler pipe. Autozone ordered me the wrong thing, hooray! Hoping to avoid having to buy the expensive do88 ones, I'll probably keep an eye out for more SEs at the junker. Tubes are a pain sometimes...

I was planning on getting a tune after replacing the turbo for sure. Probably going to go with BCB stage 3, but wanted to call them and talk about it first. Now I'm definitely confused if the 15t is an actual performance difference from the T25 or not. Lots of conflicting information... not sure nickjfields assumed I wasn't going to retune for the new turbo and that's why he said it wouldn't make any difference?

I'm trying to push the car to 300ish HP, basically as far as I can get it before worrying about piston melt. I'm not sure if I want to spend the money to rebuild the motor and etc - it's something I'm considering, but not entirely sure if I'm going to end up doing it. If I can get close to that without getting the turbo machined for the 19t compressor it would be nice to not have to spend the money until I make the decision to rebuild the pistons. Seems like I'm getting some conflicting info, anyone have anywhere they could point me to see the real difference between the T25 and td04-15t with an appropriate tune?

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Some of the tuners might have more info. I know there's some info in the mods forum but it's scattered. The T25 will run out of oomph at some upper point. WAG is somewhere over 250HP. The TD04-15t can get you close to or at 300 - again more info in the mods forum on that. Definitely 270-280 range... but I forget how much higher. If you're going with BCB again, talk to them about it. I don't think you need a 19t unless you want to get up to the 325-340 range, and then you need other mods to go with it including forged pistons. But it probably pulls stronger in the upper ranges even if you limit it to 300HP with the tune. FYI - Nickjfields was definitely saying "unless you re-tune the ECU".

A lot of it depends on what you want the HP for. If you just want to tool around town, push the T25 to its max and call it done. If you want to drag against Corvettes, go 19t and build. If you want somewhere in between, 15t.

Don't forget... if you want to go 19t eventually, the 15t install is the perfect stepping stone to get all the hardware and tuning in place.

FYI - look into the T7 BPC install. Easy mod when they do your tune, cheaper BPC by $$$, and easy install.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts