SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm turning to the SAAB world for help. The back window for my 99 9-3 SE convertible shattered a few months ago (still don't know what caused it) and I finally have the replacement back window. I just need to know if there is a way that I can replace the back window myself as I really do not trust people when it comes to someone working on my car. I have the replacement window for it. I know it is the correct window for it. Has anyone been brave enough to replace it themselves or does anyone have a guide that can help me? I have comb through all of the threads and forums on here......... Someone please help me as inspections for this car are up soon and it will not pass with the back window like this...... Someone please help!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The rear window is pretty easy to remove/replace.

There's a metal ring that the top wraps around that makes up the opening.

The window is then clipped to that metal ring with the top and the rubber face of the window sandwiched together.

To install the clips, I made up a tapered aluminum wedge that I could use to pry open the clips enough to get them started sliding into place.

The headlining just pops free of the window opening. The same clips that retain the window are used to fasten the headlining's opening to the assembly.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Good question;bad answer. He was asking about a convertible. What has the headliner got to do with a convertible?
Because on the OG9-3 soft tops, the headlining is attached to the roof at the window. Uses a plastic bead to both retain the shape of the opening and to attach to the window.

So, to change the rear window in the convertible, the VERY first thing, and the VERY last thing to do is deal with the headlining.

Clear enough?

Oh yea, you do know the convertibles use a headliner to finish off the inside of the top and hide the metal framing and hinges?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think there is confusion as to what is the rear window or back window or quarter window on a convertible. What is the little window called that actually touches the driver's door window on a convertible?

Also what is an "OG" 9-3 ?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Awesome way to resurrect a very old thread...:eek:
Personally, I call the side rear windows quarter windows - left or right as appropriate.

Those metal clips are NOT easy to remove. I had to manufacture a wedge similar to a log splitting wedge to remove them from mine :evil:. Though a royal PITA, I'm glad they fit as snug as they do otherwise we would have to glue the window like some Euro cars...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi There, I've picked up some useful info on the site, so I decided I better add something.
My 2003 9-3 convertible rear windscreen shattered during driving. No logical reason, except for a perfect storm of temperature differentials across the windscreen. No justification for the shatter, but it shattered anyway.
I was fortunate that my local wrecker had a replacement. To cut a long story short, he gave me the wrong windscreen. Sometime in 2003, in Australia, the rear windscreen changed size and shape. The difference is quite obvious when you look at the following items:
The clips are not symmetrical; one side has another return which fits into a housing on the frame. The clip spans 270 degrees. This is different to the symmetrical clip of the earlier windscreen.
The windscreen frame has two mounting ball brackets, which connect to the struts which guide the window down when retracting the roof. The earlier model does not have any ball brackets. This is the easiest way to see that you have the newer window. The windows are similar in size and shape, but you can see the difference if you hold one up against the other.
For installation, I can also provide the following tips:
This can be done by one person. It helps if you sit up on the rear boot lid at times. Set the roof retraction to half-way; you can then flip the windscreen section up and down as required.
Get four retaining clips and expand them beyond the parallel. You are effectively ruining these clips, hopefully you have some extras from your windscreen supplier. The expanded clips now serve as a holder for each corner as you position the new window. With the expanded clips in-place you can easily tuck the lining back in, without much trouble.
You can partially fit each clip at it's location. Get the back of the clip on the frame and stretch the front of the clip onto it's side of the frame. You will find that you can pre-install all the clips, and you can still adjust linings and things. Finally, push all the clips home into position.
I left the rear heater connectors off the screen. I do not wish to repeat this adventure.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Over here, the 2003 convertible was built on the OG 9-3 (9400) platform and not the NG 9-3 SS (9440) platform. But, I can't tell you what was what in Oz though... Ron

·
Registered
17 Posts
2003 Convertible - OG

True, same story here in Oz. The old shape continued through 03 with the convertible. Mine is stamped Aug 03 - made in Finland.

Anyway, the window changed slightly throughout 2003 - still OG, but a different window. I don't have an explanation for this - maybe the factory was moving to a new hood; maybe someone put the wrong canopy on my particular unit, no idea.

Anyway, just letting you know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine shattered in Nov on the 5 in San Diego. Thought I was shot at! Turns out several other 9-3 conv. owners report the same thing when the defrost was on. Mine was on. Found a used rear glass for $150 and replaced it myself with a friends help. took like 1.5 hrs. Alone it would take a lot longer!

It looks like a pain, but not as bad as some make it out to be.
-open the top partially so the back it stands vertical
-remove the 3 screws holding the fabric with a star shaped type screwdriver
-pop off the little black bars
- disconnect the defrost connections
-with channel-lock pliers you can remove the clips from around the window
it helps if the pliers have nice grooves and not flat. save the clips.
some owners say they destroyed their clips but we didn't lose a one.
-as the clips ply off the fabric starts to let loose
-the window is free when the last clip is off
-put in new window
-re-attach the 2 black bars for stability
-I found that spreading the clips open just a bit helps when putting them back
-as you re-clip tuck in the fabric
-for the last few clips you may have to pop off the black bars again.
- reconnect the defroster (I'm afraid to use it, but have once or twice)
-when the fabric is tucked back in reattach the top fabric bar with the 3 screws.

That's mostly it. You'll probably figure out your own shortcuts as you go along.
Saved over $300 doing it myself, and I doubt the upholstery shops would do any better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is a old thread but PLEASE HELP, my 1999 93 convertible had its back window smashed last christmas, I really want to get a new piece of glass to stick in there and my local saab mechanic is willing to help me but I for the life of me cannot find a piece of glass anywhere! any suggestions please and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here is the part number. 32017852

Jay

·
Registered
2 Posts
This guy in San Diego County should have one and can ship it to you. It won't be
new but will be in good shape.

absolutesaabrepair.com

His contact info is on the website.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Kurrency21:

I have a convertible window I can sell you. It looks like you are a new member... so until you get 10 posts you can't send private messages. But, if you don't mind posting a disposable email address I can get in touch with you that way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts