SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 saab 9-3 turbo with 114k miles on it .. yesterday I was driving on the highway and it felt like it sputtered a little I kept going and on the off ramp it shut off and took a few tries to start.. once it started I had to hold the gas down and throw it into drive so it would stay running .. it only drove for about another mile and shut off .. it would crank continuously but not start.. I had it towed home .. 2nd time ine the 6 months I've had it

My fuel pump was replaced 3 months ago.. however it seems my husband thought maybe it was a faulty pump because he couldn't hear it .. so he replaced it again.. we also replaced the cps when the fuel pump was first replaced fuel filter; plugs and wires also.. once he put the new pump on last night it still didnt start.. the battery had died so he jumped it and it started now it seems to be running ok .... could it be the dic maybe or battery?

Another random issue.. my temp gauge is acting really crazy it will be normal then shoot up to hot then fall off.. my temp sensor was replaced about a month ago and its still doing this.. my fan will come on and off randomly as well... any ideas or information would be very much appreciated .. we just need some direction ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
These issues resemble the ones I've had on my 1994 900S, see another thread I started here recently. I've tried a number of things without so far finding a permanent solution. A good DIC is maybe worth a try though, mine has regular coil/distr.

There are two temperature sensors as you may know, one for the instrument panel gauge and cooling fan, and one for the ECU. So the fan would come on if you see a rise in temperature on the gauge. But if you can eliminate that the engine temperature actually rose, then either the sensor is bad or the ECU is having problems. Check electrical connections and especially the 2 ground points on the intake (underneath fuel rail, battery side of engine compartment).

If you have an ECU problem or electrical ground/short issue, this could very well cause all kinds of engine problems.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a 99 saab 9-3 turbo with 114k miles on it .. yesterday I was driving on the highway and it felt like it sputtered a little I kept going and on the off ramp it shut off and took a few tries to start.. once it started I had to hold the gas down and throw it into drive so it would stay running .. it only drove for about another mile and shut off .. it would crank continuously but not start.. I had it towed home .. 2nd time ine the 6 months I've had it

My fuel pump was replaced 3 months ago.. however it seems my husband thought maybe it was a faulty pump because he couldn't hear it .. so he replaced it again.. we also replaced the cps when the fuel pump was first replaced fuel filter; plugs and wires also.. once he put the new pump on last night it still didnt start.. the battery had died so he jumped it and it started now it seems to be running ok .... could it be the dic maybe or battery?

Another random issue.. my temp gauge is acting really crazy it will be normal then shoot up to hot then fall off.. my temp sensor was replaced about a month ago and its still doing this.. my fan will come on and off randomly as well... any ideas or information would be very much appreciated .. we just need some direction ...
With these issues I'm going to assume the CEL is on?
If so get those codes read (like from Autozone) and post them here, that will narrow it down further and hopefully pinpoint your problem.

·
Registered
19,053 Posts
There are two temp sensors on that engine... do you know which one was replaced?

The other possibility would be a bad dash gauge. Not unheard of...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts