SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a 1999 9-3! Great CAR!
It has a couple of minor issues and I'll start with this one:
I can hear a pump running but there is not water coming out. I know I should check and clean out the nozzles (and will in a minute) but I am pretty sure the odds against all of them clogging at once is pretty slim! :D

So I go to look and I cannot even FIND the pump(s?), valves, or even the bottle! the filler neck dissapears into the left front fender liner and being new to Saabs I am clueless as to WHAT to check and even WHERE to FIND what I should check!:eek:

Can someone talk this Saab virgin through this problem? I'm pretty mechanical but don't want to go tearing ito this thing until I have some knowledge.

By the way, we didn't get the owners manual. Is it possible to pick one up for a decent price someplace?

Thanks MUCH in advance!

Doug

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The washer pump is inside the left wheel well, There is a detailed post by ragtopcav here with pics here about replacing it.

Washers usually can be fixed by cleaning or replacing the check valves, no tools required. I have replaced all but the rear at least once, some twice.

Windshield, headlight, and rear washer nozzles are all on the same pump, but use different hoses and check valves. Hoses lead from the pump forward to the headlights, and back toward the windshield and rear of the car. There are a total of four check valves I know of, passenger, driver, headlight, rear, plus several 2-way connectors.

The plastic connecting T's and L's are also check valves with a rubber diaphram inside that regulate fluid pressure. The straight plastic pieces are just two-way connectors between hoses. The check valves are separate from the nozzles which spray the fluid.

If at least some washers work, the pump is probably ok. If nothing works, the pump is about $60, and sometimes can be found used from a parts lot for a lot less. Located behind the driver side wheel well, at the washer reservoir (see link above).

There are small openings under the windshield washer nozzles accessible when you lift the hood. Pull the hoses out about an inch from under the hood carefully to get to the check valves.

Unplug the 'T' (driver side) and 'L' (passenger side) one at a time, and verify there is fluid coming out of the unplugged hose when you activate the washer.

Clean the washer nozzles using a thin wire from the outside, and a toothpick or similar from the inside. Replace (or clean with vinegar or hosehold detergent, ex. Dawn) any check valves that do not allow fluid to flow to the washer nozzle. In the winter, put a little soap on the ends to help get the hose back on.

Fluid should now come out of the nozzles.

Check valves are about $9 at the Saab dealer, about $4 at my local Volvo dealer, and $2-3 online. example, eEuroparts.com $2.95.

Passenger side check valve, 2-way "L", 5142757
Driver side check valve, 3-way "T", 5142765
Headlight wiper check valve, 3-way (behind grille on the driver side)
Rear check valve, 2-way 5142757, inside driver side fender near reservoir

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks PMI!

I removed the 2 windshield and headlight check valves and they are all blocked. As were the nozzles for the windshield. I tried the vinegar and water and that worked on only the passenger side valve and the headlight ones.

So I reinstalled those and made the driver's side valve a plain T until I can get a replacement valve.

I didn't do the rear one because I gathered that the valve is in the wheel well/fender liner and I don't have a floor jack or stands here at home.

I've got more questions but I'll start a new thread in case someone else wants to read too!

Thanks VERY MUCH :D:D:D for your help! It was FAST and right on!!!!!

Doug

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Bump for a very informative thread that is very relevant this time of year.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
It sure is nice to have working sprayers this time of year! I went through all of mine not long ago, including the rear one, and got them all working. I also disconnected the headlight wiper motors since all they seem to do is scratch my Stongard protectors and stop in the wrong place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The check valves are so inexpensive online it might be a good idea to order a couple of each as spares. At least that way shipping won't be more than the cost of the part :lol:

I have already had to replace the 3 way check valve by the front headlamp and now the "T" by the drivers side is bad. Oh well it's a cheap fix.

I got tired of those stupid headlamp wipers not always stopping in the fully down position so I removed the motors and wipers completely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts