SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a number of posts with similar issues, but I wanted to ask here before I go on a parts ordering spree.

I have a 99 9-3 SE with ~90K miles. It's been a little down on power lately, and had a few other issues, but overall it's been fine. I've never had any issues starting it. On my way home from work today I had to stop for gas. When I tried to start it after filling up, it cranked and seemed to catch for a moment, but then I had nothing. It went back and forth between briefly starting and just cranking for a while, now it just cranks.

From the other posts, here are the troubleshooting steps I've seen:

Fuel pump (swapped the relays, checked the fuse, checked voltage at the pump, and can sometimes hear it run)

CPS (couldn't find it, left my repair manual at my parent's house when I moved 🤦‍♂️. Will check it once I know where it is)

DIC (Didn't really test it, I did have a CEL for an ignition coil a while back, but no real problems since)

I'm also wondering what the likelihood of it being a fuel filter issue is, as that seems like a pretty easy swap, though it didn't come up too much in other posts.

Is there something that I'm missing? I'd rather not go tearing the car apart and buying parts left and right just to find that it's something else entirely. I will admit that I've neglected some of the maintenance (engine and transmission oil are a bit overdue for a change), but it seems odd that it would just refuse to start out of the blue. I've very recently had an issue where under heavy acceleration (foot to the floor), the engine will cut out. Not sure if that's related. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
It's not the fuel filter.... you need to check CPS/fuel pump/DIC ... it's likely one of those three. Knock them out before entertaining other, weirder possibilities.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a DIC. starting issue and sudden loss of power? DIC. Is yours aftermarket?
AFAIK it's factory. I bought the car with 27000 miles on it, only things I've changed are the stereo, oil, and tires. New DIC and CPS should be arriving tomorrow, figured I can always return a part if I don't need it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
We hope the new DIC and CPS are genuine (SEM AB/NGK and Bosch respectively). The items are in the "buy cheap buy twice" category.

Good luck - let us know!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like it was the DIC. Put the new one on and she fired right up. I'll have some other maintenance to do for sure, but I'm glad this wasn't anything too major. Thanks for your help everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts