SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 1999 9-3 and the daytime running lights are not working. After my 9000 I am rather used to a fully illuminated intsrument cluster even during the day :)
However, I checked the fuse 15 which is marked DRL and found the fuse missing. So, I put one in expecting the DRL to auto fire up.
Nothing.
So, is there anything else involved in getting the DRL up and running on the 9-3 ?
On the 9000 it is only fuse in fuse out

Ta

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TechII for the flaming lights ?
Oh well, if that is the case, I guess I will simply leave on the side lights (centre position on switch) to satisfy my urge for dashlights during the day. It all gets powered off anyway with the ignition key out.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
i would try another fuse first

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I tried another fuse. No joy.
Interestingly, when I first tried, the dash lights glowed dimly for a second and then went out to stay out.
I have also found that leaving the sidelights on won't work either.
Whilst all external lights and dash lights go out with ignition off, all the remaining panel lights stay on. All the backlights for the switch gear remain lit.

Cracking idea from Saab :-(

Nope, it will stay as it is no doubt. Just as the manual cloth seats will stay as Saab decided one loom for all models enabling plug and play upgrading was no longer a good idea.
Shame, nice car in general.
Just the seats I really don't like. The drivers is hard to get as I want (no lumbar support to speak of). The passenger is awful with rake adjustment only (plus fore and aft of course)
It is like sitting in a bucket.
Dreadful, in fact possibly the worst car seat I have sat in since the 70s!
That is saying something when I consider the seats in the 9000 the most comfortable I have ever known. Drivers or passenger.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had a 9000 before my 9-3 also, and in my opinion the 9000 was a superior vehicle. I think my favorite part of the 9000 aside from the comfy seats was the mass amount of storage space when the back seats were folded down. It is almost impossible, without pushing the front seats all the way up, to get the 9-3 back seats folded flat.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree. The 9000 is vastly superior from just about every angle in my view.
That is why our 93 2.3FPT will stay, my wife loves it (her car really)
The 9-3 was an opportunist buy at a giveaway price.

Nice car but not close to the 90000 as an all round package. Certainly less user friendly !
How much is GM input I wonder ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Could check your dimmer switch, sometimes if its rolled almost all the way down it will flicker on and off sometimes when all the way up too.

Good luck,

JT

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Why not just leave the headlight switch in the far right position? Saab's so-called daytime running lights are nothing more than the headlights and everything other light being on all the time. The lights will go off with the ignition in that position.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeremy

I tried that but rather oddly, whilst the headlights and dashlight go out with ignition off, the backlights for minor switchgear don't !

Heater controls for example are all left with backlights on.
Very odd, never seeen that before

1 - 12 of 12 Posts