SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 9-3s 5-speed convertible with about 110k miles that has been idling rough at times, as well as stalling out while stopping/slowing down, and at times I can swear I notice it lose power at times during acceleration. While idling I can see the rpm's fall off and then jump 2-3k a few times before the car usually dies, unless I rest my foot on the gas slightly.

About 3 months ago, i was experiencing this problem when the car died coming around a turn, and wouldn't start. I brought it to and experienced saab technician, who replaced the DIC and plugs, which had been incorrectly replaced by a previous owner. This solved the problem temporarily, but then about a month ago the problem returned, and has been increasing in frequency.

Any recommendations as to where to begin are appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put this in another post, but...

If anyone out there still has an issue with Stalling/hesitating, I fixed my ’99 9-3. I changed out the Crankshaft Position Sensor, the Throttle positioning sensor, and the rear O2 sensor. Nothing worked. What did work was replacing the EVAP purge valve, right under the cruise control module housing. Rockauto.com has them for under $70. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
elschenko said:
I have a '99 9-3s 5-speed convertible with about 110k miles that has been idling rough at times, as well as stalling out while stopping/slowing down, and at times I can swear I notice it lose power at times during acceleration. While idling I can see the rpm's fall off and then jump 2-3k a few times before the car usually dies, unless I rest my foot on the gas slightly.

About 3 months ago, i was experiencing this problem when the car died coming around a turn, and wouldn't start. I brought it to and experienced saab technician, who replaced the DIC and plugs, which had been incorrectly replaced by a previous owner. This solved the problem temporarily, but then about a month ago the problem returned, and has been increasing in frequency.

Any recommendations as to where to begin are appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich
The TB would be my guess. Try this easy solution (cleaning). If it works, you'll know for sure. Postings #235 and later are what you need to look at.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1069074#post1069074

I'm willing to bet money I'm right ;)

If you need to replace the TB afterwards, you can buy a remanufactured unit from BBA
http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=526

·
Registered
13 Posts
hkayssi said:
The TB would be my guess. Try this easy solution (cleaning). If it works, you'll know for sure. Postings #235 and later are what you need to look at.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1069074#post1069074

I'm willing to bet money I'm right ;)

If you need to replace the TB afterwards, you can buy a remanufactured unit from BBA
http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=526

elschenko: I would agree with cleaning/replacing the TB, if your stalling/hesitation was occurring only WHILE you were driving. For me, I would only have this issue when I was stopped at a light or stop sign, not driving. My idle/RPM would drop only for a second or two and then recover. Only sometimes would the idle drop and force a stall-out, but I was always stopped, or in park. I think I would start out by cleaning the TB (which I did before replacing serveral sensors) and then consider (if TB cleaning doesn't work) replacing the less expensive EVAP purge valve.

·
Registered
63 Posts
mrTwister said:
elschenko: I would agree with cleaning/replacing the TB, if your stalling/hesitation was occurring only WHILE you were driving. For me, I would only have this issue when I was stopped at a light or stop sign, not driving. My idle/RPM would drop only for a second or two and then recover. Only sometimes would the idle drop and force a stall-out, but I was always stopped, or in park. I think I would start out by cleaning the TB (which I did before replacing serveral sensors) and then consider (if TB cleaning doesn't work) replacing the less expensive EVAP purge valve.

So what ended up being your problem, was it the dirty tb or the evap purge valve, i am having a similar problem but not very often and mine has never stalled just rough idled for a couple of seconds. is there anywhere to see how to change the evap purge valve? thanks again!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cleaning the AIC

I had a problem similar to this. I cleaned the Automatic Idle Control Valve with some carb cleaner and then oiled it with a little mobil 1. I also replaced most of the older vacuum hoses. I was having a rough idle and doing this helped considerably.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
elschenko said:
cleaning the TB is gonna be a project for this sunday. ill post results.

thanks so far guys
One more thing. I said someyhing about replacing the TB if cleaning it doesn't work but you're luckier in some regards. you have a 1999 which has a T5 engine. The TB on the T5 equipped cars is serviceable. If the cleaning doesn't work, you may need to replace the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) :cheesy:

So if you have a red ignition cassette your car is T5 equipped and yes you need to clean the IAC (idle air controle) as well since you have one

Good luck and keep us posted :cheesy:

·
Registered
13 Posts
myleshouston said:
So what ended up being your problem, was it the dirty tb or the evap purge valve, i am having a similar problem but not very often and mine has never stalled just rough idled for a couple of seconds. is there anywhere to see how to change the evap purge valve? thanks again!!!
The Evap Purge Valve fixed the problem. Nothing else worked. NOT cleaning the TB or the IAC, NOT replacing hoses, and NOT the other three sensors I changed (TPS, CPS, or O2). I changed the other sensors based on some recommendations from other posts. The Evap purge valve is below/near the cruise control housing; looking from the front of the car, hood open, it is towards the bulkhead/firewall left side. It is a 10 minute job to replace, if that. My issue started out like you said; only once in a while the idle would drop. BUT, it got worse over the next 3k miles to where it would stall sometimes. How many miles do you have on your 9-3?

One more note here.
My idle/RPM would drop only for a second or two and then recover, only when I was stopped or in park. This is the key point, which lead me to suspect an ECS computer component (a sensor), as opposed to a hose or something dirty. If you are having rough idle just about all the time, this is NOT the same symptom.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
bchicoine said:
I had a problem similar to this. I cleaned the Automatic Idle Control Valve with some carb cleaner and then oiled it with a little Mobil 1. I also replaced most of the older vacuum hoses. I was having a rough idle and doing this helped considerably.
The AIC was used on the older cars, up to , incl '98..From that time on ,or so, the throttle body sensor controls the idle. This is cleanable, but is still troublesome..
Welcome to SaabCentral , please continue to contribute:cheesy:

·
Registered
63 Posts
mrTwister said:
The Evap Purge Valve fixed the problem. Nothing else worked. NOT cleaning the TB or the IAC, NOT replacing hoses, and NOT the other three sensors I changed (TPS, CPS, or O2). I changed the other sensors based on some recommendations from other posts. The Evap purge valve is below/near the cruise control housing; looking from the front of the car, hood open, it is towards the bulkhead/firewall left side. It is a 10 minute job to replace, if that. My issue started out like you said; only once in a while the idle would drop. BUT, it got worse over the next 3k miles to where it would stall sometimes. How many miles do you have on your 9-3?

One more note here.
My idle/RPM would drop only for a second or two and then recover, only when I was stopped or in park. This is the key point, which lead me to suspect an ECS computer component (a sensor), as opposed to a hose or something dirty. If you are having rough idle just about all the time, this is NOT the same symptom.

My 9-3 has 106,000 on it, it hasn't done the rough idle thing lately but i will continue to watch it and make sure it doesn't get worse! thanks for the info!!! Where did you get your evap ourge valve is it the same as the ELCD Purge Valve thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just to let you know, in the colder months, I noticed also a reduction in how often it occurred (very few, if any in fact). My idle issue came back in the spring/summer. I cannot explain it, but this is how it went...

I bought mine at rockauto.com (BOSCH Part # 0280142301 {Purge Valve, rockauto.com item #4442471} – $67.00). The local Saab dealer quoted me $119 for one ordered through them. If you enter this code: 818451605047 in the field "How did you hear about us" you will get 5% off until January 1st.

·
Registered
5 Posts
earthworm said:
The AIC was used on the older cars, up to , incl '98..From that time on ,or so, the throttle body sensor controls the idle. This is cleanable, but is still troublesome..
Welcome to SaabCentral , please continue to contribute:cheesy:
I have a 99 9-3, it has a AIC. I've taken it out before and cleaned it like I said. I'm going to keep an eye on that evap purge valve. I am starting to have a little of the random idle issues but it only happens maybe once a week right now. My 9-3 has 110,000 miles on it. Thanks for the welcome:).

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had problems with the car occassionally dropping revs or even stalling when idling. After cleaning the IAC, checking the TB o'ring and replacing all the vacuum hoses and PC valve, the problem still occurred. Then I just disconnected the electrical connection to the purge valve and....no more problem! Any reason I can't just leave it like that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
wonkyhamster said:
I had problems with the car occassionally dropping revs or even stalling when idling. After cleaning the IAC, checking the TB o'ring and replacing all the vacuum hoses and PC valve, the problem still occurred. Then I just disconnected the electrical connection to the purge valve and....no more problem! Any reason I can't just leave it like that?
Did you just do this recently, or have you been driving like this already for a while? Is a CEL present?

I would have to say that the information the ECS receives from the EVAP purge valve sensor is important to the way the engine runs, especially over the long term. Anyone else??

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,747 Posts
mrTwister said:
Just to let you know, in the colder months, I noticed also a reduction in how often it occurred (very few, if any in fact). My idle issue came back in the spring/summer. I cannot explain it, but this is how it went...

I bought mine at rockauto.com (BOSCH Part # 0280142301 {Purge Valve, rockauto.com item #4442471} – $67.00). The local Saab dealer quoted me $119 for one ordered through them. If you enter this code: 818451605047 in the field "How did you hear about us" you will get 5% off until January 1st.
Side note - the fine folks at eEuroparts have that for 62.90 - free shipping over $39. Same part #4442471 :cheesy:

I find that eEuro and TheSaabSite usually beat prices from the generic online places like Rock or AutoPartsWarehouse - and they really know their saabs if you wanna call. PLUS they support this very fine site.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Flashheart said:
Side note - the fine folks at eEuroparts have that for 62.90 - free shipping over $39. Same part #4442471 :cheesy:

I find that eEuro and TheSaabSite usually beat prices from the generic online places like Rock or AutoPartsWarehouse - and they really know their saabs if you wanna call. PLUS they support this very fine site.
NICE, thank you. I am always looking for a better deal on parts.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The purge valve has been disconnected for about 4 weeks and no CEL has appeared. If there is no reason to fix it other than to save the environment, I prefer to keep the $62.90 in my pocket (particularly bearing in mind the charcoal cannister is probably ready for retirement)!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sombody please post a link to the part # please. Also, is there a write up on how to change the EVAP purge valve? Where is it located? What does it look like?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The evap canister purge valve is on a small bracket at the passenger side strut tower, close to the upper idler pulley. It has no purpose, aside from the evaporative emissions system, and on older cars where the charcoal canister is over 6 years old, not much purpose at all. Depending on the year and version of evap emission system, it may or may not generate a CEL when it fails, or when it is disabled.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts