SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend recently bought this car. he says it only hesitates when he floors the pedal. it hesitates then stops then hesitates again while continuous accelearation. i know there is some turbo lag but he thinks its more than that. i also have read about the CPS(crankshaft position senor) going bad and causing stalling. any suggestions? thanks guys :)

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
If it ONLY happens under hard acceleration, that sounds like a BPC (boost pressure control) valve that needs cleaning (blowing out with compressed air). The clue is it happens only when already at normal speed, AND pedal down.

When it gets full of crud and starts to stick, it can cause a momentary overboost/fuel cut condition. It feels like that car stalls for a fraction of a second, then accelerates, then stalls again, sometimes two or three times.

A mechanic cleaned it with shop air, but suggested I should just use a can of compressed air once a year or if it happens again. Or just buy a new valve, which should last for a few years before it gets gummed up. He did not seem too keen on a new part in this case though. Said on older engines, people sometimes pay for the new part, and are still back a few months later.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Um, does your friend's car even exist? As far as I know, the only 2.3 turbo offered in the 9-3 was in the Viggen, which was never sold as an automatic. Are you sure this car isnt a 9-5 or a 2.0 liter turbo 9-3?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think you are right. he said it was a 9-3. so it has to be a 2.0L, sorry :(. thx for the info. ill let him know :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts