SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing errands in city traffic. I put in 98 fuel higher octane in small amounts for third time now. Things were going fine a few issues though and then I park car, walk dog and try re-start this morning. Crank crank crank, no start. Then, an ignite - but like was flooded and splutter splutter, then a bit more force revs till it was sort of smooth then I dropped to D so could move to a car park turn around where it stalled twice to get there. At turnaround stalled. Hood up, After a min more of crank crank pause crank crank, I got worried about battery discharge. Got it to go. I revved to 4k seemed to make it feel better. Then on way home every set of traffic lights got red. Then hit freeway and home. Freeway was fine. I noticed it missing a lot more though. And it has missed a lot since the octane change. The car rarely did miss, now misses. But at high speed is good, very nice power. When thumping accellerator I notice also vehicle kind of freeze on kickdown (auto), as though it is too much sudden ask for full power and it doesn't want to...then decides, 'okay' and accelerates. Any advice based on experience please give. Shall I go back to 89 /91 fuel?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I may have a spare Dic, from an Aero the wife wrecked. I reckon this one connected to the fuel type. Was running well until the change. Has anyone had it before? Was missing right from the start, except first time 98 used, but that time was all highway no stop start traffic.... Dic was fine until. CPS was good. No faults in ODB. Doesn't MAF and ECu sense and alter timing, advances it? Started before and I drove 6kms, no worries but a very slight missing .. the 98 really has given it way more boost. Maybe is a dramatic change car can't handle. Just before it gave way were tourists mucking around in front. Took minutes to a few hundred meters.

·
Registered
570 Posts
When you find it in a position of crank but no start, stare at the tachometer needle while cranking. Does that needle sit dead still, or does it dance just a little bit off the peg? If it remains dead still = dead CPS.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
interesting. will check for sure. Q: when it does fail, is it little by little, and, can poor performance cause a failure of it?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may well have flooded it while getting the dog seated in the car - perhaps I pressed the pedal (RHD) and had key on, and was hard to start due to higher octane ...
This car is just Garret 2.3 not Aero - lower compression than hot 2.3?. . .car is now running fine but still misses when decelerating - kind of mini backfires .., and it hadn't liked sluggish speeds when on 95/98. . I read that the car (ecu?) can read the octane type and advance the timing accordingly. I never knew could do that, it's pretty far out. Thanks for replies. I have spare cps in case.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you to all who posted, The CPS was bad. The old one that came out the magnet was dirty. Will drive it a distance soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts