SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly working on this car (1998 900SE turbo hatchback with manual trans) for several years now.. eventually one of my kids will drive it. However, I've yet to actually drive it any greater distance than around the block!

Here's the story. I bought this car with a supposedly bad head (smoked like crazy), so I rebuilt the head and re-installed. After considerable work, discovered that the actual problem was that the IAC and #1 fuel injector wires were swapped by the previous owner. Now the car starts and runs.

During this previous work, I've thrown some parts at this car - new IAC, new CPS, replaced both coolant temp sensors, replaced all vaccuum lines, swapped the ECU (ultimately reinstalling the original), and replaced the PCV.

Current problem is that once the car warms up (2 circles around the block) it will die when pressing the clutch. RPM just drops straight to 0. It will start right back up, but will die 1-2 times on the trip back to the house and keep dying until it sits for a bit. It'll generally idle, but revving it at all will cause it to die when returning to idle.

I'm at a loss - I don't want to keep throwing more parts at it hoping 'this time it'll work!'.

Looking back at previous threads I've started I realize I've done a poor job on following up on what actually got me here. After the head rebuild, the shop had swapped the intake and exhaust cams. After installing them correctly, the car started. I ultimately traced the wire harnesses back to the ECU to figure out the IAC and injector wires were swapped. Once that was done it quit smoking and will idle and rev properly.

Previous work documented here:
https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699697
https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715382

Any ideas?

I've considered that maybe the cat is plugged from all the extra fuel dumped into it, but I would think it would die regardless of hot/cold then. I've also considered a bad DIC, but I'd like to try a test swap before buying a new one. Anyone in the Minneapolis area have one that would be willing to let me try it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I've already replaced all of the vacuum lines, so I don't think I have any vacuum leaks at this point. I do plan to do a boost test shortly to see if there are any air leaks anywhere.

I'm curious about the TPS sensor. I plugged my ODB scanner in and went for a drive - the TPS absolute value never reads below 11.3% - even when no throttle is being applied. Does this sound right? Is there any good way to troubleshoot the TPS?

It does throw a misfire on cylinder 2 when I am able to rev it up on the road - it seems like it's misfiring around 3k RPM.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
What your lungs produce isn't the same as what the engine produces, but I'd say generally that's a good test. Having a 2-way Mityvac around is nice when you own a turbo car.

"High" TPS reading isn't inherently a problem. I *thought* on later T5 cars that it wasn't adjustable anyway. I would be checking for a clean sweep across its range more than any one relative position. I can tell you the TPS on my T5 c900 is at 15% at idle, and Tech 2 reports the throttle as "closed" in this position. Seems fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts