·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
speedometer works
trip meter works
car brakes fine

what could it be? No /!\ light.

I just got this car, 100k miles on it. These were on when I bought it. Should I replace the ABS module?

Can CEL codes on these cars be access with the OBD2 scanner?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes an obd scanner can pull codes. First off check the ABS fuse to see if that's blown. The brake light could be related to the parking brake lever as it has a sensor in it to detect if the handbrake is on. Perhaps coffee or some other crap got in there and shorted the wire.

Out of curiosity what color is the car? I think I saw it for sale recently from your description of mileage year and model.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes an obd scanner can pull codes. First off check the ABS fuse to see if that's blown. The brake light could be related to the parking brake lever as it has a sensor in it to detect if the handbrake is on. Perhaps coffee or some other crap got in there and shorted the wire.

Out of curiosity what color is the car? I think I saw it for sale recently from your description of mileage year and model.
thanks for the advice.

the car is the one you thinking. green one with black wheels. i picked it up for $800.

It seems pretty good with the exception of those lights on the dash. and it also looks like I need to re-torque the head as there seem to be some oil sipping out from under the valve cover on the driver side.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Damn you beat me to it, I was gonna buy it just because it was a good price.

Glad someone snatched it up that is going to enjoy it.

Is the oil coming from the valve cover or the base of the cylinder head? If its the valve cover you can just replace the gasket, those are a really common place for oil leaks and only cost about 30 bucks to replace. As an added bonus it gives you a good chance to look at the top end of the motor and check the timing chain and look for sludge.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
base of cylinder head would mean head gasket area?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks like top driver side but i should probably look around at the base of the head as well.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here is a shot of the dash board with the lights on......

im going to check all the fuses and try to get the codes pulled.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what does the INFO DISPLAY on the dash mean?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
working on trying to fix the pixels in SID.

side question, where is the oil filter in this car? do i access it from top or from underneath?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Access from front bottom. It is located on the passenger side front lower part of the motor. It is very easy to see and access when you look under the car.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks again!!

how much oil does this car take? please answer in Liters lol.

·
Registered
215 Posts
what does the INFO DISPLAY on the dash mean?
working on trying to fix the pixels in SID.

side question, where is the oil filter in this car? do i access it from top or from underneath?
Check fleabay, there are companies out there that will fix your sid for ~$60 and it's money well spent.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
thanks again!!

Four and you can over/under fill by several percentages..
Maybe by 3012 America will finally catch up - but not with our conservatives in power...
Manuals are also available, once edited and corrected, are most informative.
And for this link, we have Ron to thank.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206471

·
Registered
215 Posts
Four and you can over/under fill by several percentages..
Maybe by 3012 America will finally catch up - but not with our conservatives in power...
Manuals are also available, once edited and corrected, are most informative.
And a liter is .94 of a quart. So 4 quarts, 4 litres...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Make sure you put good synthetic oil in the car.

I use Mobil 1 0W-40.

I am sure there are tons of differing opinions on this forum about oil type but I have had no issues running 0W-40 year round in this crazy Canadian climate.

·
Registered
215 Posts
More than you'd ever want to know about Oil: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

The first number in a multi grade oil is the cold thickness: 0w-30 oils acts like a 0w oil when cold and like a 30w oil when hot.

In general, you want a thinner oil for startup to reduce wear and tear and allow for good flow over the parts. While thicker oil may lubricate better, it is the FLOW of oil that makes lubrication happen. So, lighter oils flow over the parts better. Thicker oils are too thick to flow at startup and will not start lubing the engine until they get to a temperature where they can flow.

The downside is this: As oil gets older, the VI additives that make the oil thicken when hot break down. If you let this go on, your 10w-30 starts to act like a straight 10w oil. This will be too thin for lubrication when hot. Then it will start to get thicker as the oil itself starts to pick up crud.

So, what does this mean? It means that if you're planning to change your oil like a good little boy, go with an 0w, if you're planning on being stupid, go with a 10w. The 30 or 40 depends on your climate and driving style. The hotter it is outside, the higher you should go. The harder you work your engine, the hotter it will get and the higher grade is needed.

I drive like a lil' old lady and change my oil regularly, so 0w-30 works fine for me. Mobil One or Royal Purple depending if there's a sale. Also, get an extended life oil filter so it can last the life of your oil.

As to why you should pay more for oil and why you should change it often:
The startup viscosity of the synthetic will be 50 whereas the mineral based 10W-30 will be 100. Again, both are too thick at startup but the synthetic will cause less startup time period wear and tear. You will get a little better gas mileage too. The synthetic lubricated engine will turn over easier. This has the effect of using less power from your starter motor. It will last longer. Your battery has less of a current draw. This will also last longer. The battery was discharged less during the start so the alternator will rob less power from your engine to recharge. The alternator lasts longer and you get a little better gas economy. The only downside of synthetic lubricants is the cost. They cost 2 or 3 times as much as mineral based oils.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Four litres.

Canadian Tire carries Castrol Syntec(old)/Edge(new) 5W-40 with ACEA A3/B3 or A4/B3 certification in five-litre jugs. This oil meets Mercedes, BMW, VW long-life specs.

If you catch it on sale, it's just over $30 per jug, and that's all you need for one oil change cycle (presuming the engine doesn't leak or burn oil).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts