SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i checked all my mounts, i'm leaning towards the transmission mount being shot. the reason i think that is i re-aligned the shifter linkage its dead on, but i still have a problem. I have to muscle the shifter to get into gear. it should be smooth. not like trying to shift a dodge cummins with a nv5600.

my point being has anyone else had this problem, and have a solution to fix it.

p.s i have the gs shortshifter, (prolly wont have anything to do with this problem)

and thanks for reading my post.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Have you ever changed the oil in the transmission? I changed the oil when my son first got the car and there was plenty of metal stuck on the drain plug magnet and lots of glitter from the synchros in the drained oil. That told me that oil had probably never been changed. You might want to invest in two quarts of 10W-30 (or 10W-40) mineral oil, just to see what the oil looks like. Others have gone with synthetic oil with success... Ron

·
Registered
19,183 Posts
Yeah, I'm a fan of synthetic like MTF0063... cleaned up the shifting in a couple cars for me.

You could also have bad mounts. As a test, if you let the RPM's drop between shifts, a car with bad mounts will shift easier. That's because the engine and tranny will settle back to normal position. Unfortunately, if you have bad syncro's, you might pass the same test. So, start with the oil change, give it a little time as you pull it to the gate to spin up, and see if the shifting improves. Check your mounts too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts