SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to ask a few questions before i buy this car 63k fssh.
Is the autobox reliable, and the car suitable for tuning with the auto box, Is the car reliable? car has full leather, aircon etc and getting it for £2150, car is spotless, any comments?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Hi Dubburke, and welcome to SaabCentral. What would you expect us to say, then ? :D
Try using the search facility, and in particular, the buyer's guide, for the answers to your questions.

HTH

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The search didnt uncover much on the autobox, and tuning capability with it!
does the price sound ok for the car?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Sounds cheap to me. But must have a full service history for a turbo. Autoboxes are generally reliable, and should not be a great issue. More than man enough to handle the power and torque. The engine tuning potential a little limited if mated up to an auto box, BOV, for example, are not so good an idea. I'm keeping my vehicle standard as there seems little to be gained by outright tuning, again IMHO.

HTH

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
That's a good price. Is it a private seller? He have a good reason for selling it?
A 97 w/only 63K and FSH sounds like a good car to own. Will he let you get it inspected? Worth the few dollars that will cost. At least ask, even if you don't get it inspected. If he snaps "no way" I would have to wonder why?!?!

The autobox is very reliable. I can count on one hand how many threads I've seen here in 2 years where someone needed SERIOUS work on thier tranny.

Zaphod Beeblebrox said:
I'm keeping my vehicle standard as there seems little to be gained by outright tuning, again IMHO.
Yep. Very little. Just throw-you-back-in-your-seat, hang-on-for-dear-life, scary-fast acceleration!
:cheesy:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The Aisin-Warner auto-trans reliability is about the direct opposite of the old English Borg-Warner unit used in the old 900s and is , of course a totally different setup..

Both our Saabs have this box, both are totally reliable, both have well o'er 100K miles.

There service history is most important, check out the "Sticky FAQs" for all the info you will need..

And the price is most reasonable, I'd say the man is serious about selling...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I think i have made my mind up, and i am going to do it, been smitten with saabs since my old man bought a brand new 9000 turbo in 87! Anyone got any performance figures for this car?:cheesy: the 900 SE that is:roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts