SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So it's time for me to replace struts. I know the mount/bearing is bad on drivers side, but while it's all apart, I want to replace front struts completely (I believe it's all original) and the ride is rough. I know it's a convertible.... I have the 6 point brace on. Made a good difference, along with good tires and proper balance...

I feel the struts are just warn and tired.

I've been researching here and all over. I dont want cheep aftermarket crap. I noticed koni doesnt have struts for my car but saw billstein has the b4 and the b6 (performance).. but only the inserts. Is it worth getting the b6? I dont mind paying. Also, what strut bearings/mounts should I get?? And should I replace springs?

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
Looks like Koni sold out of the inserts for the front of the NG900. But there must be used inserts out there.

They will all be inserts on the front.

I have the Koni yellows on my NG900 (soon to go the way of parts cars), and Bilstein B6 on my 9-5. The Konis have a much smoother ride. The Bilsteins are great at major dips and heaves, but bang over every crack in the pavement.

(To answer a possible question, I will be selling my 1997 900 complete [I hope]; I don't have the time or patience to part it out.)

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
I've had Bilstein B4 strut inserts on the front of my '97 900 for quite a few years, and I'm very happy with them. The B4s aren't nearly as stiff as the classic yellow B6 struts. RockAuto has the convertible-specific B4 inserts for $51.79 each, which seems pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! EdT, if you change your mind let me know! I've been hearing similar about the billstein b6 ..

Jeremy, I looked up on rock auto and found the billstein b4 for the vert!! Thank you!

Which mounts do I go with? I attached a screenshot of what they have available. Do I need anything else besides the b4 inserts and 2 mounts?? Do I need new springs?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
You don't need new springs unless yours are broken or horribly corroded. I wouldn't get any of the strut mounts that RockAuto sells. I've bought quite a few of those brands, and they're all pretty crappy. The ones I've been the happiest with are Febi mounts. You can get them from eEuroparts for $26.49 each, and I'd also recommend getting a pair of the OEM SKF strut mount bearings. The NG900 also has a couple of washers in the struts that can get bent. It took me forever to figure out that one of those was causing some odd noises. The part numbers for those are 4646634 and 4907663. You need one of each for each strut. Finally, check the condition of the combination bump stop/dust boots. It's listed under "Bellows" on RockAuto. The bump stop portion can start to crumble, and the dust boot can wear through in places.

·
Registered
884 Posts
If you haven't ordered yet check neo Bros in UK (or other Euro suppliers). GBP's been slammed and the prices they show online include 20% VAT which is deducted when you check out if you order from the States. Right now the price for a full set of front and rear B6 shipped to MA is USD375. They ship fast using 4 day courier. I bought that set last year and have also bought Viggen clutch kit from them. I recently bought a full stainless cat-back Viggen exhaust direct from Maptun in Sweden for $380. Maptun shipped a little slower than Neo but worth the savings.

·
Registered
18,384 Posts
I've used Neo Bros and they are very easy to deal with from the USA.

You also need the zinc "spacers" that are under the springs. They intentionally wear and always degrade over time. You'll need replacement tie rod end nuts but if there's a good harware store with a metric selection they're just nylock nuts. You are supposed to replace the axle nuts every time along with the ball joint nuts. ABS mount bolts will likely break but an also be found locally. If you can't get allen head, hex head will work although the clearance is a little tight on one... but a 1/4" 10mm socket will get them in.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heya thank you for all input. Havent ordered yet. As far as the koni, they dont make them for the ng900 anymore. I looked and couldnt find. Just had an issue on my honda come up so I havent to deal with that first. Will def order the parts everyone described. A lot of the smaller parts I had no idea about!

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
649 Posts
There is a Bilstein B6 kit for your 900 on sale at Parts for Saabs in the UK.
I did my suspension a while back - and ordered some strut mounts from Neo Bros.
Both PFS and Neos were fast on shipping and not insane with prices.
If you are doing the whole suspension refresh in the front - you need to consider items like bolts, bushes and control arms as well as struts, springs and strut mounts.
GS do some modified control arms for 900's that you also may want to consider also. I'm not 100% sure about the hardened poly strut mounts eg for the 9-3 but some say they are really good.

This is a list I had when I was sourcing comments and parts. Its for a 2000 9-3 but you might want to read some of the comments re springs, bushes, nuts etc.
Hope the comments and the links help. - Best of luck.

·
Registered
647 Posts
. As far as the koni, they dont make them for the ng900 anymore.
LM Performance is still advertising them, that doesn't mean they have them though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts