SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all . clutch seems to work fine mechanically but starting hearing the whining noise of the berring going a few weeks ago. it started with just making noise during engagement and now whines when it's sitting in neutral idle. i guess the berring has worn but the rest of the clutch seems fine. from what i've read it seems i have no choice but to remove the whole thing and replace. it looks like a tedious task but i bought the car for my daughter to tool around college and don't want to drop 6 - 8 hundy on the labor. i've done a lot of repairs over the years but whats the general concensus of doing this yourself by the average (well maybe above average ) :) garage joe? thanks all!
ps. i found 2/3 of the parts ( new berring and disc ) for this car on e-bay and paid only $54. i am having trouble finding the plate anywhere for a reasonable price; any ideas? got absolutely screwed by the scumbags at "autoparts giant" so pass the word on this rip-off company they are miserable to deal with and are only an internet storefront!!!! they will make you wait 2 weeks and keep your money and then tell you they don't have the part after they told you several times they shipped it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The labor on this task is roughly 4 to 8 hours, the parts are inexpensive in comparsion.

If you don't mind doing this repeatedly, then buy the eBay parts and take the risk..
I'd try a second opinion on the TO bearing "noise" - you may be able to live with it...for a time..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply but i've had several saabs and it's definately the berring. i would live the noise but it's my daughters car. as far as the parts they are name brand and i have them in hand. they are brand new. i guess my main question is
is there any way to guiet the noise without pulling the whole thing apart?
lube, adjustment or otherwise? thanks............

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Its not horrible, it took me and 2 friends a week of on and off after work to do that, and convert to hydrolic clutch. You will want at least one dedicated assistant who can think in opposite ways you think. (It helps for those what do we do now moments.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well checked with all the local tool loner and tool rental places here in town and surrounding areas and no one has an engine support beam or lift available for weeks. any ideas on how to do this without one:confused: ??? thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts