SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a '97 900se turbo manual transmission saab that I purchased less than a month ago. Love it. The oil pressure light comes on and off at times and sometimes doesnt come on at all while im driving. I just changed the oil because it was completely black and nasty. After changing it I noticed the oil pressure light above the turbo/apc (i still have no idea what apc stands for) gauge is still coming on and off.

Any suggestions or comments would be great. I'm not leaking oil or anything and have the correct amount in the car so I really do not know what the light means.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Welcome to Saab Central.

APC is automatic performance control. The car will reduce boost and can retard timing when it senses knocking. That way, bad gas won't destroy the engine.

The oil light comes on when the oil pressure is drastically low. It has nothing to do with oil level other than running out of oil means that there's no oil pressure. This could be a defective pressure sensor or it could mean that your oil pressure is too low to protect the engine.

The only way to know for sure is to install an after-market oil pressure gauge. Otherwise, changing the pressure sensor may help clear things up. The sensor is on the side of the engine that faces the firewall, partially under the oil filler tube.

If the oil light is on because the pressure is low, that means that there is almost NO oil pressure. Driving in that condition is sure to destroy the engine in short order.

John

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Like John said, you need to get a true reading on that oil pressure before you drive it anymore. Driving it with critically low Oil Pressure will destroy that engine quickly. You may not have low pressure at all, you could simply have a defective pressure switch or the wire has come off of it and is grounding out on the chassis. If the sensor is good you have to start looking at possible culprits. Low oil pressure can be caused by anything from a stuck oil pressure relief valve (best scenario) to a completely sludge clogged oil passage or pickup screen (worst scenario).

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
What weight and type (synthetic, semi-synthetic, mineral) of oil did you put in the car? Using a thinner weight oil (0W-30) will decrease oil pressure and a heavier weight oil (20W-50) will increase oil pressure a little, especially in warmer climates. Do you hear any unusual noises?... Ron

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks a lot for responses. I used valvoline fully synthetic 10w 30 oil on it. There isn't any knocking whatsoever from the engine. So I will buy an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and see how that goes.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Do a search for "sandwich adapter". It's a fairly easy way to attach an oil pressure guage. It screws on between the oil filter and filter housing, hence the name sandwich. If you decide to go that route, do a search for the particular threads for our cars. You will also need the oil pressure guage and sending unit... Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts