SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I decided to post this here instead of the 99 forum becasue I was leaning toward the 96. However, I've found a couple of 99's very close to my town that look pretty damn good. I'm looking for a sporty daily driver/rallyX/hillclimb/maybe full on rally car (in the future). I love the look of the old 96's and had pretty much decided on them. But now I'm not sure. This would also be my first classic car, so it might again make more sense to go with something a little more plentiful.

Any how, all imput and comments are welcome.

Thanks,
J

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Welcome to SC.Can't speak for your side of the pond, but the 96 is a true classic, and I am sure you would not be disappointed. Great fun to drive, and parts not so difficult to come by. Lot's of help available here.

But I am biased, about the 96 as we have one. :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
well first off you should check out www.saabrally.com, for some 99 rally inspiration. that said, either one will be hard to find parts for at this point, surprisingly the 99 might be harder, depending on the year, the plus side being that the 99s are generally cheaper than the 96's. either one will be a fun car though, so just pick one that isnt too rusty and im sure you'll have fun with it.

Paul

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have both and they are both great and both very different. I am most precisous about my 96; it is a try classic, has so much charachter and gets so much attention - it is a fantastically quircky car. So far I have spent....well, I won't say!

The 99 was rally bred, developed from lessons learned from the 96.

My 99 is really tatty anc cost me £100. That said I much prefer to drive the 99 - it is a pleasure to drive, so much fun. The 99 is more roomyier and more comfortable, if you are looking at the practicalities.

If you are wanting to mod the car there are many more options for the 99 in terms of performance. SaabRally.com is a great site for that. A 900 T16 engine transplant, 900 rear axle and hubs and 9000 brake conversion and de regure nowadys!

If you want power and a classic car you can thrash around with impunity I would go with the 99 for it comfort, handing, practicalities, tunability and better parts availability.

If you want a classic Rally car which you would not give such a hard time to, I would go with the 96 for its iconic value and charachter.

I have done quite a bit to my 96 and am now starting on my 99 - quite a bit of work on the 96 is detailed here but the 99 is only in it opening stages!

www.performance96.co.uk

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
If you go for a later 99 bits are really easy to get since they are the same as on the c900 and much is interchangeable. Would be a lot less hassle than running a 96.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
V4's are really simple to work on, but hard to find decent ones without rot...Perhaps just too old now to be practical but I like 'em.....

Certainly has more 'classic' credentials too. I doubt anyone gives a second glance to a 99 but a 96 just looks so odd now.....(in a good way!)

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
kemosaabey said:
Certainly has more 'classic' credentials too. I doubt anyone gives a second glance to a 99 but a 96 just looks so odd now.....(in a good way!)
I get enough comments about my 99 that i think people do notice it! I find it hard to sneak about as people keep noticing me all over the place!
I do 200-300 miles in a normal week in my 99. I probably only see one or 2 other cars over that time that are older than the 99 :(

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My '75 99L got some attention. Perhaps for the wrong reasons. (it was very GREEN) I did like it though...a very refined motor for it's age. But for ultimate quirkyness it has to be a 96, love the flat floor, V4 noise and column shift.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts