SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I've had my 1996 NG900 for almost exactly two years now without any issues but today I've noticed some kind of scary ticking noises coming from the top end, on the side of the engine opposite the timing chain so I know thats not it. I just want to know how serious this noise is and how much I should worry or what I should do to try and fix this issue. Thicker oil? Cleaning the lifters? anything like that I will try because I would love to not have to get rid of this car.

It seems to pulse at idle and sometimes under load when the engine is dropping RPMs from being under load. No codes, it always starts and runs fine and I get great mileage. Just this noise if driving me crazy now.

https://youtu.be/s9cfD4BZtvE

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,748 Posts
yes that does seem to be a noise you do not want to hear. Basically may be time to take the valve cover off. Luckily that gasket is cheap...and it is an easy job.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Did you check timing chain tensioner length just to be sure it's not slap noise bouncing around? If nothing jumps out at you when you take off valve cover you should probably check oil pressure, especially if the noise goes away when you are off idle. Very easy to install a sandwich adapter at the oil filter to add a permanent gauge.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It sounds like a lifter that can't hold pressure. Those check valves are tiny. Any little piece of debris can pop loose and get stuck in the oil ports.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts