SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
continuing the easter break car tlc... i'm going to change my very noisy starter motor but it doesn't immediately look like the '2 spanner' job that haynes calls it!

haynes says access is better from below but that still doesn't make it look too easy and it looks like the 9000 must be fairly high to work at the starter from underneath... i'd have to buy a new higher reach jack...

access from above looks possible but the manifold and throttle body is in the way.... i have long arms! so this looks the best for me...

can it be done on a late model aero just by removing or moving away the throttle body? i don;t want to remove a load of fiddly things and find i still can't do it!

thanks

adrian

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
from 94 the top starter bolt is also a bell housing bolt so is easy to remove, the bottom fixing is a nut so with the turbo delivery elbo removed it should not be too hard to do that from the top either, you may need to remove a stableizer bar from the throttle housing to the starter but apart from that it is just the wires and the 2 fixing bolts, should be about a 30 minuit job all being well ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do it from above

I replaced the starter not long ago. I ended removing the intake manifold, but later realized it was not realy needed but made access a little easier. I found it was tricky to remove the top bolt (because I was too lazy to remove the heater hose). You can fit a short socket (I think it was an odd 18mm) and squeeze it in (see picture*). The lower is a 17mm nut that goes on a stud from the engine body (it also holds the support arm of the intake manifold). I would recommend to remove the following: cold air duct to throttle body and throttle body; I think the FPR and AIC valve also should be moved, and optionally the heater hose closest to the starter.
*(The picture was taken looking down to the starter standing on the drivers side fender by the battery or passenger side to our UK friends).

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts