SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am new to posting but I have been a long time creeper. I have a 1996 Saab 900SE Turbo. The car has a nasty habit of randomly cutting out. There seems to be no correlation between my actions and the cutting out. The following conditions make no difference, it will die...
A/C on or off
Driving for 5 miles or some times it dies after 50 miles
Full tank or nearly empty fuel tank
Freeway speeds or city (Stop/go)
Driving hard or driving Ms. Daisy
There is no error code associated with this, occasionally I get a misfire code but, not when the car dies, I randomly got a P1172 P0300 on start up before the CPS replacement
I have the SRS light lit up but, that has been on for a long time (The car sat for two years before I bought it, the light was on since the first time i started it)
When it dies, the car does not respond to me pressing the pedal, there are no warning lights/SID indicators, and its a smooth/sudden deceleration, feels like when I pull my foot off the gas pedal.

I have replaced...
MAF
Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter
CPS
Ignition Cassette
PCV Nipple

I am getting frustrated with this car!!!:nono;

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An update to the issue...
the car also has a new fuel pump.
And I am now getting the following error code via OBDII
"2 Codes
P1171 severity unknown contact service group 1-800228-7667
p0300
MIL on
monitors
2 INV
catalyst
evap
02 snsr
4 ready
misfire
fuel comp
02 htr"

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Have you searched the net for "saab p0300" and P1171? The reader itself doesn't necessarily tell you all--or even some--of the details.

As for the rest of it, are those emissions status monitors? Which ones are unready, which are fail?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P1171
Manufacturer Controlled Fuel And Air Metering
Saab repair manual says this means lean condition closed loop >25%
P0300

Random - Multiple Misfire Detected
Possible causes of OBD code P0300
A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Faulty spark plugs or wires Faulty coil (pack) Faulty oxygen sensor(s) Faulty fuel injector(s) Burned exhaust valve Faulty catalytic converter(s) Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages Faulty camshaft position sensor Defective computer

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My vote is that you replaced the ignition cassette with a reburbished unit, which are expensive paperweights. Remove the cassette and take a picture of it including the labels for verification, we can help. Or go back to where you got it and get a replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.