SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I've come for help again.

Went to start the car and it cranked over a few times, but slow, and would not start. I put jumper cables on it and it won't even crank over. Dash lights etc are all working. Do you think it may be a battery issue or could the starter have failed? I've owned the car for almost 4 years and neither have been replaced.

Also, my ignition switch doesn't automatically "spring" back to ON after START. Possible that my ignition switch has finally bit the dust?

Thanks to all,
Mark

·
Registered
375 Posts
Could be the most basic problem of needing a new battery. If you used jumper cables and the car wont crank it may be that time. How old is the battery?

I had an issue like this when I had my 1995 900S but it was my fuel pump. Those go out at about 140k-180k. I am not sure if the fuel pump primes itself or not (I believe it does though), but when you turn the key do you hear any noise from the pump? Like it might be priming? If you do it probably isn't the pump.

I have never had a starter issue so I cannot say anything about that.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Ok...I've come for help again.

Went to start the car and it cranked over a few times, but slow, and would not start. I put jumper cables on it and it won't even crank over. Dash lights etc are all working. Do you think it may be a battery issue or could the starter have failed? I've owned the car for almost 4 years and neither have been replaced.

Also, my ignition switch doesn't automatically "spring" back to ON after START. Possible that my ignition switch has finally bit the dust? Has this ever been lubricated? A drop of Lock Ease every so often. But, its too late if the return spring is broken. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105574
And it could be this..
Do the diagnosis, test and troubleshoot.

Thanks to all,
Mark
A full battery/charging system service are in order, this should be done at least once a year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys! Finally got a chance to look at it today. Used the test light to see if current was going to the starter(yellow wire)...all was good. I parted out a 99 9-3 vert a few years back and just happened to have the starter from that car still here in my "underhouse" warehouse of used VW/Audi/Saab parts. Put that used starter on and all is well with the world again. Now on to that pesky water pump leak that I keep neglecting.

Thanks again!!!
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts