SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. The LCD has failed on my 96 900s Convertible and only partially shows digits.Can anyone advise me on whether this part of the Cluster is seperate from the mail Cluster and accessible by just removing the Panel from the Steering Wheel down to the Pedals(incorporates the Diagnostics Plug),or is it a built in part of the Cluster? in which case the entire Cluster has to be removed.
Really appreciate any advice,thanks.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
To be clear, what you are saying is that the digits are lit up just fine, but kind of hieroglyphics?

Try slamming your hand on the instrument panel, or let it warm up fully. My 1997 did that as well, especially at startup, but then fixed itself. It's almost certainly dodgy solder somewhere.

You have to pull the entire instrument cluster to get at anything in there.

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
Yeah, what Ed said. Long job the first time you do it... once you know where all the fasteners and gotchas are, you can swap one in an hour. We can guide you.

The odometer module is separate and can be replaced. The reading will remain the same as before. Or, you could try reflowing all the solder joints in the cluster. Note that it might be a joint in the cluster itself (not the odometer module) that is the issue. I'd be looking at swapping the whole thing... unless you have time to play with it and test while it's open. If you use the rear of the existing cluster on the replacement unit then the odometer mileage will swap over for you.

Lastly, you should pull the negative cable on the battery before working on removing the cluster. Then leave it disconnected until it's all reassembled. Otherwise, odds are VERY high that you will set off the SRS. Then you need a Tech II to reset it. If you plan to do repair/testing with it all opened up, can do to avoid setting off the SRS computer by disconnecting it while you test.

·
Registered
199 Posts
This might help with orienting yourself with the cluster: Removing Speedo head
Its a bit wonky, but I was learning, too, when I wrote it up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be clear, what you are saying is that the digits are lit up just fine, but kind of hieroglyphics?

Try slamming your hand on the instrument panel, or let it warm up fully. My 1997 did that as well, especially at startup, but then fixed itself. It's almost certainly dodgy solder somewhere.

You have to pull the entire instrument cluster to get at anything in there.
Hi Ed,Thanks for your advice.The problem has been there for a couple of years now(wasn't very high on my priority list of jobs to be done on the Car to save it from the Scrapyard!) and the banging the Cluster option did work for a while but no more which,as you say,seems to confirm that it,s a broken Solder job so now i know after looking at Bobsaabits reply that the Odometer is accessible i.ll take a look at that.Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts