SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm new to the SAAB culture and community and except for some VW forums I have come across this definetely seems like the group I want to be apart of. Currently, I'm attending Michigan State University, but came to the harsh reality it wasn't exactly the right school for me. I'm coming home next semester and taking classes part time to figure out what I want to do.

Right now I'm driving an '02 Chevy Impala with about 110,000 miles, but will soon need a lot of work i.e. new brakes, shocks, etc. Today I looked at a '96 Saab 900S with the 2.3. It has new brakes, clutch, water pump, and tires. Besides some cosmetic wear the car is in great shape. Unfortunately it has 188,000 miles and it is freaking out my parents. I'm planning on taking it to the mechanic before I would buy it, that is, if my parents approve. The the seller seems like a respectable guy who drove it while he was in residency. What should I do? Plus, he is selling it for $1750 for much lower than KBB. Like I said, I'm new to this gig, so whatever insight you guys have on this car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i have a 97 900s with the same motor in it, i bought it from a friend for 2000 with 149000 miles on it i havent had a single problem with it but the pos clutch cable...my friend couldnt afford to drive it so i got it i have done alot of stuff to it to make a little more power out of it, but if thats what u want it aint cheep but its well worth it EVERY PENNY!!!! as long as it all seems good take it to who u have to and if they say its good BUY IT but only if u can afford something to go wrong just in case... SAABS ARE NOT CHEEP LOL BUT I LOVE MINE

well i hope this helps you out.. chuck

Greco88 said:
So, I'm new to the SAAB culture and community and except for some VW forums I have come across this definetely seems like the group I want to be apart of. Currently, I'm attending Michigan State University, but came to the harsh reality it wasn't exactly the right school for me. I'm coming home next semester and taking classes part time to figure out what I want to do.

Right now I'm driving an '02 Chevy Impala with about 110,000 miles, but will soon need a lot of work i.e. new brakes, shocks, etc. Today I looked at a '96 Saab 900S with the 2.3. It has new brakes, clutch, water pump, and tires. Besides some cosmetic wear the car is in great shape. Unfortunately it has 188,000 miles and it is freaking out my parents. I'm planning on taking it to the mechanic before I would buy it, that is, if my parents approve. The the seller seems like a respectable guy who drove it while he was in residency. What should I do? Plus, he is selling it for $1750 for much lower than KBB. Like I said, I'm new to this gig, so whatever insight you guys have on this car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:D

I just purchased a 1997 900s also; it has 143,000 miles on it. I paid $1900.00 for it and feel like I got a good deal. I work on all my cars so I was able to look it over for myself. This also helps on the cost of repairs, so learn to DIY as soon as possible. I have so far replaced the clutch cable, battery and repaired normal wear and tear items (bulbs switches etc.) and have only spent an additional $120.00. The engine is very tight and the car is getting 35+ MPG.

Good luck with your decision and if you do buy it, this is the place to come to for help working on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts