SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I walked up to my 900 & hit the "unlock" button on the remote, it let out a very weak chirp. I got in & the overhead lights were very very dim as well. Car would not start. Wouldn't even turn.

Is this a dead battery? Sorry to sound like such a neophyte. If it makes any difference, the reverse lights have been "sticking" on lately, and it takes a few shifts into another gear to get them to shut off. Could this be some sort of electrical issue draining the battery?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Firstly, it sounds like the battery is dead. However, the question is, why is the battery dead? The alternator may no longer be charging the battery, there may be a drain on the battery with the key off or the battery may be old.

You should get yourself a cheap digital multimeter for your toolkit. Walmart or Harbor Freight have DMMs for under $15 that are quite good for mechanic's work.

If you can charge the battery, the battery voltage should be between 13.5 and 14.1 volts with the charger on. If the battery was dead, it may take a while for it to charge back up. If the charger can't get the voltage above 13.5, then the battery is probably bad. If the battery voltage comes up on the charger, remove the charger and start the car. Again, the battery voltage should be between 13.5 and 14.1 volts with the engine running. If the battery voltage is low, the alternator is probably not working.

If the battery voltage is good on the charger and with the engine running, then turn the engine off and see if the voltage drops below 12 volts over time. If it does, either the battery is bad or something is drawing power with the key off.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts