SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am about to purchase a 95 SE turbo convertible and I have a question about the condition of the top. The white stitching around the back window on one side has frayed and come off. The dealer tells me that the top is still sealed around the window and there is no leaking. Is something like this easily repairable or does a whole new top need to be installed? Is this something that is merely cosmetic or should I tend to it immediately? Any idea of the cost?

see the picture attached.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your lucky there is no leaking. On my 95 900s vert the bottom of the back window is not sealed... and water leaks through. I don't really know if I can maybe use a sealant to seal the lining and the window together, I'm going to go to a local foreign car place and see what they think about it. I don't know if the stitching is a problem as long as there is no leak.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I do believe the rear window is glue to the canvas, so it should maintain a seal.

I don't think the stitch is merely cosmetic so you should have it looked at.

In speaking to a shop that does convertible top replacement, more than half the cost is labour so it really dosn't make sense to remove, repair, and install. May be they can manually stitch the cavas in situ, so take into a shop (not the dealer) that does marine canvas work and they should be able to offer you advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FYI if you do have to go the replacement route: I had a new top put on a few months ago for $1,400, which broke down almost equally between parts and labor.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Supposedly on the 94-95 verts the glass and top is one piece. You can't replace the window seperately.
On the later models it is replaceable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts