SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1995 Saab 900s stopped starting originally I thought it was the starter motor so I took one I knew worked off my parts car and still nothing. When I turn the ignition all I hear is a click it doesn’t turn over (I think from the starter relay) all the dash lights come on. The battery is less than 2 years old so I’m thinking that the starter relay is shot. The problem is I can’t find it it’s not in the engine bay or with the other fuses on the side of the dash on the drivers side. Anyone know how to get to it? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
Is the car manual or automatic? If automatic, the interlock may be bad.

The starter relay is under the dash. You also need to check maxi fuses 2 and 3.

Since you have already changed the starter, I assume you are at a decent level of ability. Check that there is +12V between the main starter terminal and ground. If there is, and someone briefly tries to activate the starter, does it remain at +12V?

If there's always +12V at the main starter terminal, you can CAREFULLY try jumpering between the main +12V terminal and the starter solenoid terminal. The starter should run. Obviously the car should be in neutral, on jackstands, etc. If it does run, the problem is somewhere in the +12V feed for the solenoid, which includes the wire, the relay, the ignition switch, and some fuses. I'd say the next test would be to pull the under-dash tray and see what's happening at the starter relay.

The Bosch starters do fail. If you can bench test the starter you removed, you can see if it works. You'd need a spare +12V battery and some jumper cables and a bunch of care, but it's not impossible--I've done it.

Since the online WIS does not go back to the NG900, you should download WIS/EPC from the Tech II section of general topics here. It's a bit of a pain to get all the wiring: for example, the starter relay is found under the theft protection section, not the starting section.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the starter works fine. It's in the electrical somehow leading to the solenoid. I bench tested the ignition relay and the starter relay from under the dash. Both relays work fine and connectivity through the relay switch works fine too. In checking the plug where the starter relay plugs into there is no power arriving there for the relay when trying to start. Checked the 10a starter ignition fuse and it's good. Jumping power to this fuse starts the car. I checked all the maxi fuses and they are good. Looking for more ideas? How do I test the that the key switch is working in the start position?

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
If I am reading the wiring diagram correctly, the wiring into the ignition switch goes through maxi fuse 2, and the output of the starter trigger goes through fuse 36 at the side of the dashboard. So if that's the 10A starter fuse you mention, then it looks like the ignition switch is at fault here.

·
Registered
17,429 Posts
Ignition switch failure is not uncommon.

If you need a new one, I have an original SAAB one here brand new in a box. Bought it for my NG900 years ago but I no longer own that car. I will sell it for a significant discount off retail if you want it.

The other choice would be to go to a u-pull and try one from a car there. That's not a bad choice, as it will give you an opportunity to learn how to get in there via a car that doesn't matter if you break things. The manual isn't too bad a job, but it's still kind of a PITA.

If it doesn't work out, the worst you get is experience and you can swap in a new one. If it does, you get experience and then you can swap in a new one later at your convenience before the used on wears out.

When you do it, DO lock the shifter in 4th gear in the tranny per the instructions before you unbolt the shifter. You can make life easier if you use a Sharpie or scribe to mark the location of the shifter on the floor and put it back in the same place. Also, if you Do NOT unbolt the shift rod things go quicker... just sneak under the shifter once it's unbolted and take out the two screws that hold the switch to the key cylinder.

You don't need to remove a front seat as some instructions will tell you.

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
Not trying to ruin sale of an ignition switch (it may be necessary at some point), but if the rest of the switch is working fine, and the starter activates if +12V is routed through the starter circuit fuse, there are obvious MacGyvering possibilities here.

·
Registered
17,429 Posts
Not trying to ruin sale of an ignition switch (it may be necessary at some point), but if the rest of the switch is working fine, and the starter activates if +12V is routed through the starter circuit fuse, there are obvious MacGyvering possibilities here.
No worries... notice that I suggested the u-pull myself as a better first choice at the least. Just throwing it out there in case the OP wants to go new and save some $'s.

I think Jake said he rebuilt one at some point too - so that's an option. He's also got an old post around her somewhere for a push button ignition rewire, a la more modern cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses. For now we put a push button taped under the dash. Turn the key press the button and we're good to go. We do have a 2nd parts only Saab 900 so when the weather gets warmer we'll pull the ignition out of that and install it in our main Saab 900S.

·
Registered
17,429 Posts
Thanks for the responses. For now we put a push button taped under the dash. Turn the key press the button and we're good to go. We do have a 2nd parts only Saab 900 so when the weather gets warmer we'll pull the ignition out of that and install it in our main Saab 900S.
Always good to have a parts Saab when you have a Saab.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts