SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running great until two days ago. Slowly getting worse. Runs very rough at idle and first gear, hesitates, surges in second.

I did get the cassette at the junk yard, bad luck?

Could it possibly be something else?

air idle control?

Throttle position sensor?

crank position sensor?

evap valve

any ideas before I take it to the dealer for diagnostic?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Does it run OK once you get moving? If so, it doesn't sound like the DIC. Presumably you got a red one from the junk yard and not a black one?

It could be a vacuum leak (check your hoses) or maybe that idle control thingy (which I know nothing about, having a T7 ;)).

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Are you getting any check engine lights (CELs)? If not, a dealer might just start throwing parts at it too. And a new DIC is $400 plus... Ron

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
95 saab 900 convertable

When you say red you mean underneath or on top? hope i have the right one.

No, its not running good, low accleration, dieseling, uneven idle.

I did notice that the connector plug cable to the DI (pronged one plugs into the side of the DI is taped up) Wires are not showing or anything

Is their a name for that cable?

So u think it is probably not crank position sensor, dirty air ldle, evap valve.

Used to live in windsor, ont. hows the weather? lol:D

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
He's talking about the unit in the middle of the top of the engine with the 4 screws holding it down and the connector on the right side. In general, '94-'98 used the red DIC and '99-'02 used the black DIC (with a few exceptions like the '99 Viggen). Those DICs typically fail and the car won't run. The newer cars have individual coil packs driving each spark plug and tend to breakdown under high rpms... Ron

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
95 saab

Are you getting any check engine lights (CELs)? If not, a dealer might just start throwing parts at it too. And a new DIC is $400 plus... Ron

no engine light but i noticed the harness has some black tape in it wrapped thick right at the base of the plug. probably cracked or frayed. i wonder if i should unwrap it to see the damage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
95 saab

He's talking about the unit in the middle of the top of the engine with the 4 screws holding it down and the connector on the right side. In general, '94-'98 used the red DIC and '99-'02 used the black DIC (with a few exceptions like the '99 Viggen). Those DICs typically fail and the car won't run. The newer cars have individual coil packs driving each spark plug and tend to breakdown under high rpms... Ron

what i mean is the underside of the di is red, not the top. the connector is wrapped in electrical tape, this might be causing the problem. im wondering if i should unwrap it to see the damage

·
Registered
113 Posts
Put the other cassette back in and see if it acts the same.

My car is doing pretty much the same thing as yours right now. I've changed the plugs, oil, fixed some vacuum leaks and cleaned the IAC... no dice. I'll be getting a new (used) cassette sometime next week. Hopefully it helps.

Mine isn't throwing any codes either. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did u clean the evap valve?

its on the shock tower.

I have heard that this problem could be a crank position sensor by the oil filter.

keep me informed

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think usually the CPS throws a code.

At least I would think so, since mines been throwing a code for at least 10k miles and I haven't had a problem :cheesy:

Usually though from what ive gathered reading these forums, when a CPS starts to go bad the car wont start when hot giving you kind of an early warning.

Just my two cents i aint no expert

1 - 13 of 13 Posts