SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends,

Can I put a 1995 non tcs motor into a 1993 tcs chassis? Both 9k Aero. Any modifications needed? Is there anything I need to be aware of or is it a straightforward swap out and in?
Both are manual transmission.

Thanks in advance.

S.

·
Registered
8,814 Posts
Direct swap if you use original electronics inc wiring looms and throttle body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Backstory: my cherry (green) 95 non-tcs 9k aero slid out in sudden hailstorm and ended up in cow field. We went through barb wire fence and posts, badly gouging paint, denting paneling and tearing aero plastics. Mechanicals, interior and accessories are fine.

Now, I find 93 aero with desirable color, but tcs, pre-GM tranny and many more miles. Don't want tcs and want my fresher engine and tranny in desirable 93 color . Questions to see if I can use my non tcs engine and tranny in 93 chassis. I think 95 was a newer trionic system than 95, but don't know what implication that will have.

1. By "original loom" you mean the 95 loom?
Is it hard to swap looms? Assuming 95 cpu and 93 cpu not same plug.

2. 93 tranny is incompatible with 95 block. GM changed mounting holes. If I use my 95 tranny are the mounts in the 93 chassis in same place?

3. Is it true that cruise control and abs cpu are mounted in different places in the 93 and 95?

Thanks again. S.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
The latter tranny is stronger as well.

The difference between T5.2 and T5.5 is minimal. I think they share the same plug but I can't recall the pinouts. I've saved them somewhere (pdf) if you find you need them...

I would swap EVERYTHING over to the '93 chassis. You'll find threads here on "TCS delete" but plan to remove (even swap?) steering column for access to changing the gas pedal brackets over. This will be a great time to correct the "doomed to fail" clutch bracket on the steering column. My welded reinforcement has held well the last 80k so I never bothered to improve my quick fix.

Swapping the wiring harness' will seem daunting but I've removed them before -- take your time -- you DON'T want to damage the harness internally.

While you have it this apart is a great time to inspect for and remediate any rust in the firewall, windshield frame, ect.

*take a LOT of pictures before & during the disassembly to help you see where/how it goes back together -- especially the bits that are different from one car to the other.

You'll have a sweet ride when you're done!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts