SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here,s the story, 2004 Vector Estate, vgc 77k. Reversed out of my drive on to the main road and before I had a chance to pull away forward a kind gentleman in a 09 plate Passat slides up the passenger side of me and ends up in my wall!
Damage is rear wheel, arch, both doors and front wheel and tyre. Neither door will open. Then to top it all when I moved it at the request of the police (it was in the middle of the road) a lovely elderly lady drove into it leaving a large dent in the front bumper and shifting the front wing slightly.

Long story short, garage is quoting 5k in total to repair so its likely it will be written off. Big question, I would love another 95 but with the trouble I had with the old one (headgasket £600 to fix, pixels going on the display etc) and the current situation with Saab do I search for another or go for something japanese (thinking Accord estate in diesel). Really don't fancy something mainstream like a mondeo etc estate but I'm worried a little about future parts, repairs etc with a 95.
At the back of my mind is the thought that a bank a bit of cash and buy a car I had before the 95, an NG900??

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
First of all I feel very sorry for you I know how I would feel if my baby were hit never mind probably written off.

Now to your query the Accords are good but not bullet proof particularly the diesel http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=780 a colleague of mine ran one for three years (company car) and it was in the garage 6 times in the first year electrics and bump steer in year 2 oil consumption became an issue (new engine) year 3 oil consumption back as a problem which he put up with until the end of the lease. No more Hondas for him.

Having said all that if you can find a cared for low mileage Honda you should be ok. But you will swop the seats the turbo the ride and the ambience for a slightly better built car.

I think other NG900 owners and your experience will tell you all you need to know about that idea.

My 2p is that most cars are reliable if they are properly maintained certainly my 04 2.3t has been good so far. It feels at 6 years better than my previous A6 at that age.

If it happened to me I would look for another 9-5 not least because I have 2 independents that I trust to work on my car should it have any issues......

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your thoughts, I've always loved Saabs, when i was a kid I used to love the old 900s and would still like one now (despite the amount of abuse I get from my partner about them lol (she thinks they are dated and "square")) My experience with the NG900 I had lived up to the dream, the 95 not quite so (although i think that may have been partly down to the dealer experience following their takeover). One question, does anyone have any idea what the current situation with Saab is currently? Whats happening with the dealers (are there any?), company, parts etc? Is it going to get to a point where you have to travel miles to get a Tech 11 connected? THe dealer told me once to "marry" radios etc he needed a code from the manufacturer, how is this going to be affected if they have gone down the pan?
I'd love to say I would happily buy another but there seems to be some issues??!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
OK

Like everyone I am on the lookout for further information about Saab and Spyker. I take heart from the fact that Spyker is moving production to Coventry (it just makes me feel better!) My local dealer has this to say http://www.concept-saab.com/default.asp?docId=35826 and as for Saab dealers in Northamptonshire http://www.carpages.co.uk/northamptonshire/saab-dealers.asp. Parts availability is not an issue to my local independent (I asked in the dark days). It could get to the point that you may have to travel miles if your local dealership closes it happened to me with Audi and my Father with Honda. You appear to have an independent in Northamptonshire http://www.saabcentral.com/listings...tate=25&mnuCountry=1&mnuType=3&Submit2=Search - I do not know if anyone has any experience? Yes you nedd Tech 2 to "marry" and "divorce" the radio. So you would need a dealer or an independent however I understand (only from reading posts) that it is possible to install a standard radio cd changer satnav etc etc. without Tech 2 search for posts by Stipud he seems to be a guru this is the link he has as a signature http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116840 . Phew, just trying to keep you in the Saab family.....

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Parts shouldn't be an issue, under EEC law they have to provide parts for (i think its 7 years) after a production run finishes. There are also a lot of aftermarket parts suppliers that cater for Saab as well.
Tech II shouldn't be an issue, a lot of Saab dealers are also Vauxhall who use the same diagnostic machine with different software, there are also plenty of indy's out there who are Tech II equipped.
Just to throw you a little, have you looked at the 9-3 sportwagon with the 1.9 diesel engine as an alternative?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the information! I really want another 95 estate, and all your comments are swaying the decision!
Was it yourself Kermit who bought a Vel Satis? How is it?? I did have a look at a 93 Sportwagon but have heard bad things about the reliability of the new 93. And bits dropped off when I borrowed one just after they came out, so if its going to be a Saab it will have to be a 95 or an NG900 (for old times sake!lol)

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Yes, i did have a Vel Satis. Lovely car, VERY well spec'd, huge amount of room but spares prices are horrendous, there are virtually no parts interchangeable with other Renaults, try £170 for rear discs, £700 for a mild steel exhaust or £85 for a pair of wiper blades. :eek: Also most Renault dealers won't even deal with them because they are so rare. :evil:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ooooh! And I thought saab prices were bad! Did I hear that they only sold a seriously small number of them in the UK?
Not got it any more then? What you driving now then?
Still heard nothing from the insurance company, would have thought they would have told me by now with storage charges etc Have been looking around and seen some Hondas and a rather nice 900 Viggen for sale! Its going to be a hard decision. Seen a lovely 95 Aero estate too, if I had the money in my hand I have a feeling it would have been purchased!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the latest from the insurance is that it is a total loss. They've offered 4k, which I have said is too low and want more. Looking around in the area 150k mile Mondeos fetch more than that, a 95 is got to be worth more??
Upshot is I've laid some cash down on a diesel ford estate. Its going to be hard, but I'll be saving cash on fuel, tax etc. But don't worry, another Saab is on the shopping list of the future!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well the latest from the insurance is that it is a total loss. They've offered 4k, which I have said is too low and want more.
Please, please, please fight the insurance company for that value! Look around your area and see what it would cost to replace your car with a very similar one. The prices you see are what you may expect to get from the insurance company.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
ooooh! And I thought saab prices were bad! Did I hear that they only sold a seriously small number of them in the UK?
Not got it any more then? What you driving now then?
They sold just over 2000 Vel Satis in the UK. Now got a Laguna 1.6 ;oops: (in green of course) :cheesy: Nice spec like most Renaults but couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Pity you've put money down on a Ford, i could have found you a nice car from work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts