SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Quick question in regards to the handbrake. It really seems like I have to really pull up on the lever to engage the handbrake properly. I am going to take a look at the brakes on Saturday but wanted to verify if they had some kind of adjustments to them?

Thanks for any and all responses.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The correct way to adjust for a stretched or loose cable is from an adjustment mechanism under the car, near where the cable (or cables if you have the dual cable system) is attached to the lever. On most cars that is difficult because of rust etc. Also check a cable guide bracket under the car which sometimes bends or cracks.

There are also adjusters inside each rear wheel. Those are intended to adjust the distance of the hand brake shoes from the inside surface of the rotor.

To back off the adjuster, turn the wheel down on the left, and up on the right rear hub. To tighten the adjuster, turn the wheel up on the left rear wheel, down on the right. Use a small screwdriver or similar tool, and work through an access hole in the rotor.

Cleaning and servicing the handbrake components is a pain on most of our cars, but if not done every few years, the only option is to replace them.

Here's a link:

Handbrake

Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PMI....Thanks for the reply and link... I'll be going to my friends garage tomorrow,which has a lift, and taking a look at them.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Jorge147 said:
...I'll be going to my friends garage tomorrow,which has a lift...
With a lift, reaching the mechanism which adjusts the cable for length should be a lot easier. Some early models have the single cable, some have the dual cable.

The single cable has an adjustment mechanism near the rear axle.
The dual cable has one under the middle of the car, below the handbrake lever.

I am only familiar with the dual cable, which has a small bracket attached to the "pull-rod" with a single adjustment nut. According to Saab, the handbrake lever can be released (lowered), then the nut can be adjusted (tightened), until the rear wheels lock on about the 6th click of the lever. Tightening the nut takes up slack caused by the cable stretching. Mine is too rusted to budge, at least with the limited space working under the car with stands.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PMI...Thanks for all the info on this. Mine had the single cable system. While checking it out on Saturday I found out that my drivers side handbrake would engage but the passengers side wouldn't. So for this coming Saturday it looks like I will be replacing the brakes.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
You are welcome. The expander mechanism might be too rusted to move properly, or something like that. (that's the part which pushes the brake shoes out, and against the inside of the rotor). Another possibility is that the barke shoes started sticking, and wore out while riding the inside of the rotor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PMI said:
Another possibility is that the barke shoes started sticking, and wore out while riding the inside of the rotor.
This is my thoughts as well. I figure if I'm going to take them apart may as well replace them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts