SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
This is my first post on this forum and im a bit of a noob when it comes to saabs so please stay with me.

Im am thinking about adventuring into 1995 900 SE as a winter daily driver, the vehicle has around 112K on it and the current owner described three problems with it.

The one that concerns me the most is that the vehicle "has no reverse". The current owner claims that it just wont go into the gear, it doesn’t pop back out, it doesn’t grind, it just wont go. He claims to have taken it to a mechanic, the diagnosis was that it was not the transmission and was going to be about $300 to fix. The owner also claims that it shifts through all gears smoothly, although i didn’t ask specifically about fifth gear.

So my question is, does this vehicle have a reverse lockout, a lever you have to pull before it can go into reverse. And is it likely that this part of the shift assembly is broken?

Could this just be a linkage adjustment procedure that these cars seem to be plagued with?

Does anyone feel there is any chance that the engine is toast if it shift and syncs in all other gears fine?

What type of things should i check for when i test drive it?

Im not sure if this will help diagnose this vehicle but the other two problems where non functioning odometer and speedometer, broken cable? and a noisy exhaust.

Are there any common issues that these cars have around this mileage? Do you feel this could be the dependable safe simple winter car im looking for with a little tlc and a few hundred dollars.

Thank you for your help,
~Tyler

·
Registered
713 Posts
well there is a reverse lock out, on the shifter pull up on the black plastic piece under the knob. then try but otherwise it could the the whole mechanism undernieth the shifter assembly. uhh i dont know what else to tell ya

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Check out our FAQ dealing with the purchase of a used car - in this case - well used/ abused.

Very roughly, offer less than $1,000 and plan on spending up to $5,000 to make her reliable again..
Are you a DIY with good skills and tools ? This skill can save $$$$$$$ over the years.

Usually the shift problems are due to the linkage and/or mounts... If these are still good, then the reverse portion of the transmission will need repair...

The speedometer - probably one of the front ABS sensors - maybe disconnected...
No cable(now obsolete)

The exhaust - The $300 is a good downpayment..And a good excuse to upgrade with a 3 " stainless steel system...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
earthworm said:
Check out our FAQ dealing with the purchase of a used car - in this case - well used/ abused.

Very roughly, offer less than $1,000 and plan on spending up to $5,000 to make her reliable again..
Are you a DIY with good skills and tools ? This skill can save $$$$$$$ over the years.

Usually the shift problems are due to the linkage and/or mounts... If these are still good, then the reverse portion of the transmission will need repair...
The speedometer - probably one of the front ABS sensors - maybe disconnected...
No cable(now obsolete)

The exhaust - The $300 is a good downpayment..And a good excuse to upgrade with a 3 " stainless steel system...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts