SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My '95 900 S has stalled in motion twice this week while driving, once while accelerating from a stop and once while braking to stop. Both times the I'd been driving at least 30 mins. The car doesn't lose electrical power - the infamous bing-bong noise comes on and speedometer/radio still work. You can watch the RPMs drop to 0. The car starts right back up when I throw it in neutral & crank.

Considering the car has a brand new distributor/rotor (last week!), is it more likely to be a failing ignition switch? I have had some weird electrical gremlins lately (dash lights won't illuminate if light switch is in the right 'on' position, headlight wipers developed a mind of their own).

Thanks as always for the insight!

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Crank sensor, fuel pump, ignition coil, ignition switch. I'd say all are on the table. Could even be something else, like a vacuum leak or a weak alternator or battery. Personally, I would tend to suspect the crank sensor.

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
Check the low-voltage wiring to the coil. One of the wires goes to the engine, and it can flex and start to break, especially at any point where the wire has been pinched or bent before.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Late follow up, but it was the CPS. The conditions started getting worse and starting became difficult. Threw a new one in and haven’t had an issue since. If you start experiencing similar issues, throw a new one in before you get stranded!

My original post also mentioned wonky dash lights. I replaced the dimmer switch (rheostat) and that resolved that issue entirely and the dash lights up at night.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
That's great to follow up - so often you see threads where people never come back with the solution, and the world is left scratching their head. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts