SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '95 900 S convertible project with just 52,500 miles, but with a few gremlins.

The SID is completely dead, including the clock & Black Panel buttons. Nothing functions. However, the buttons & clock light do light up when the car's lights are on - but it takes a few minutes for it to illuminate.

The radio also does not work, but pressing the power button does activate the power antenna. It's lights work, and seems to be tied to the SID.

Has anyone seen this before? This seems to be more than dead pixels. Am I in for a new SID, or can I send it off for a refurb?

Thanks for the insights.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
That is odd behaviour. Does the clock tell time? Do you get turn signal clicks (provided by SID speaker)?

The button/clock illumination should be in synch with the dash illumination. But that's sensitive to how much light there is--if the dimmer is set all the way dim, the SID illumination is dim when it's dark in the cabin, but full brightness in the daytime. That's controlled by the SID, which has a little eye by the clock.

Does the odometer follow a similar pattern of being invisible for a while? Try covering up the eye (to simulate night) or shine a flashlight on it (to simulate full daylight) and see what the clock/SID illumination does.

There should be plenty of better-working SIDs available used, or you could send yours for refurb. You need one that's programmed for a convertible. If starting with a random SID, you'd need a Tech II to ensure that it's set up for convertible operation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The clock does not tell time, nor do the buttons work to adjust it. I don't get any sound from the turn signals.

I'll try the illumination trick!

If I find a working convertible SID, is it plug & play?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.