SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 900 2.3 A/T still has front wheel shakes at 45-55mph after new tires.

Got new tires, and it stopped but only for about 2 days/100 miles. Then, when I did pads on all 4 wheels, I rotated tires and it seemed to stop, but only for about a day and 50 miles.

I only seems to happen on gentle freeway curves up to about 55mph, not at higher speeds. Not much if any feedback to wheel. Definately feels like harmonic vibration. Front end didn't FEEL loose when I had it up on jacks during brake job, and tried to shake tire back and forth. Is that a valid test for worn out front end parts???.

Would it be alignment? I thought that would only pull you to one side or wear tires funny. What else might it be?

·
Super Moderator
1,431 Posts
I’d start with a Hunter Elite road force balance. It does such a better job than the old school spin balancer that most tire shops use. It will use less weight and do a superior job of locating their optimum position. It can also determine the difference between imbalance and tread run out. So I’d start with this since there is a good chance it solves your problem. Worst case, you’ll be able to rule out tire imbalance and move on to the next troubleshooting step.

Shop locator: https://www.hunter.com/gsp9700

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check your CVs. Similar thing affected two of us, that was the cause.
thx, all my other worn out CVs were fine at anything over 30mph, and only manifested when turning fairly sharply, and when accelerating on cloverleafs.

Was there any "check" besides the general symptom that "proved" it was CVs when this symptom occurs? Mine seem 100% fine otherwise. No clunking, lurching, noise, etc.

Any special 1995 Saab 900 quirks for replacing the CVs?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yep, when I took it apart one of the three tripod bearings was gone, needle bearings anywhere. The sole symptom was a wobble feeling under throttle over 30mph.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts