SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new Saab convert and wet behind the ears in car owning in general. Anyhow, I just bought a '94 Saab 900 S that was the recent recipeint of '96 Saab 900's engine. For the most part every thing works and looks great but I need to fix the following items:

An inaccurate gauge cluster. The speedo only ocassionaly reads the true speed. I was told this occured following the engine swap. There are numerous warning lights in the cluster such as the exclamation point and the anti-lock light that come on only after the speedo starts acting up. I'm under the impression that its a grounding issue since whenever you activate the turnsignals the speedo jumps accoundingly. Does this sound right? If so what is the easiest way of fixing the problem.

Also, the AC does not work even after documented proof of a recharge. I also need to figure out how to obtain the radio code since it looks like the battery was disconnected and I cannot listen to any music at the moment.

Can anyone help me please?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
youngysaab said:
Hi,
I'm new Saab convert and wet behind the ears in car owning in general. Anyhow, I just bought a '94 Saab 900 S that was the recent recipeint of '96 Saab 900's engine. For the most part every thing works and looks great but I need to fix the following items:

An inaccurate gauge cluster. The speedo only ocassionaly reads the true speed. I was told this occured following the engine swap. There are numerous warning lights in the cluster such as the exclamation point and the anti-lock light that come on only after the speedo starts acting up. I'm under the impression that its a grounding issue since whenever you activate the turnsignals the speedo jumps accoundingly. Does this sound right? If so what is the easiest way of fixing the problem.

Also, the AC does not work even after documented proof of a recharge. I also need to figure out how to obtain the radio code since it looks like the battery was disconnected and I cannot listen to any music at the moment.

Can anyone help me please?
The Speedometer, exclamation point and the ABS are related and it's a sensor on one of the wheels (I forget which wheel though). Check it and clean it as well as the ground on there.

The radio code is easy as well. SAAB would give you the code as a courtesy for free but some dealers have been known to charge money:nono; but most don't, thank God :cheesy:

As for the turn signal affecting the speedometer, that one I have no idea :confused:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
It is the ABS sensor on the wheels; right rear is the one that effects speedo I believe (At least it was in a friend's with similar symptoms)

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Welcome to Saab Central, YoungSaab

The wheel speed pick-up (a generator, I believe) at the RS front wheel should be fairly easy..

I hope you are a good DIY, you will have much damage to repair, previous owners/ mechanics can be sloppy and/or inaccurate..
Buy the WIS, just for starters..
The ICE(Integrated central electronics) is involve with the ECU and the directionals.
I suspect poor connections at many palces..but then, IMO, the Saab/Amp connectors are very good quality...as are the grounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts