SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used 94 Octane AON 10% Ethanol from either Mohawk or Husky in Canada. I have noticed that my Viggen no longer boosts in to the red, and I just had it in for a full service and they found nothing. I am starting to think it is the fuel I am using, Esso 91 Octane.

I was thinking I would use the 94 Husky fuel next fill up but wanted to check with you lot to make sure that there were no problems doing so. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Should not be a problem. Higher octane is better for our engines (or any turbocharged engine). The NG900 runs fine on up to 25% ethanol with no modifications.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is good news. I was browsing the wrx/sti forums and I have heard that the ethanol fuel can cause pinging as it is not a true 94 octane, so that was one of my main concerns.

Do you think I will see a noticable performance gain from the 94? Also, would it be a good idea to pull the ecu fuse after getting the 94 to take full advantage of it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Warren9-3 said:
That is good news. I was browsing the wrx/sti forums and I have heard that the ethanol fuel can cause pinging as it is not a true 94 octane, so that was one of my main concerns...
There was no pinging on my car, or any other issues, but as you increase the % of ethanol above the range that our ECUs can handle, you have to make other engine modifications to compensate (same deal as other turbocharged cars). With the normal ethanol mix straight from the pump, there should be no problems.

You will only see a performance increase if octane was the reason why your ECU adapted down.

If the reason is something else, like an old O2 sensor for example, it will not make much difference. O2 sensors do not react as quickly to changing levels of oxygen in the exhaust when they get old. That is why we have the "O2 sensor slow response" fault.

On the NG900 with T5 ignitions, you can reset the ECU to force it to adapt more quickly, but eventually it is supposed to do it by itself. I really do not know enough about the T7 engines to say for sure.

·
Registered
281 Posts
When you turn your key to "on" (not started) the boost gauge must read right on the line of white and yellow, if it is below the yellow and in the white your gauge requires adjustment. That can only be done by a dealer using the Tech 2 tool. Been there done that. If thats ok, the wastegate requires adjustment. OR you have a slight leak in the turbo lines somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts