SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel pump in the engine bay will run if I jump the load pins on the relay socket labeled "fuel pump". The feed pump in the tank will not get power. The fuse is fine on #14 and I've swapped tested relays for the glove box panel but still no juice at the feed pump. What am I missing? The car will run on ether spray so I don't believe it's the anti-theft. Finding wiring diagrams for the non-turbo has been tough.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Btw, this car came with no key fobs and only 1 key with the short/wide head not the large square one. It is not the large key with the chip in it. I'm just learning about this system so any module info would be helpful. Everything I find is for the newer 9000 (95+ or Turbo) and 900 series.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
9000 do not have chip in key or fob. Do your key have only metal T-shape head or plastic drop style head?
Check dash right end under air vent and glove box. There should be yellow 25 pin connector which is connected to matal box (anti theft) or yellow connector which have 3 jumper wires.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
No glove box in a '94.
IF in fact the immobiliser is on Can't remember if it cuts spark or fuel TBH.
. Either way you needs access the ECU programming with either a Tech 2 OR T5 suite.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
T-shape key only. I bought a fob for a 94 9000 off eBay, so it's not usable? I will check under the dash for the module. The relay panel is already dropped down. Three power windows work, door locks do not, but they could be a fuse. I'm trying to resurrect this car one Saturday at a time until I can get it running under its own power enough to get it home into my garage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No glove box in a '94.
IF in fact the immobiliser is on Can't remember if it cuts spark or fuel TBH.
. Either way you needs access the ECU programming with either a Tech 2 OR T5 suite.
The Tech 2 works with ODBI on this 94 model? I'm trying to find someone with an ISAT around here. SAAB tech at the previous dealership is out until Wed. Will see if he still has something to reprogram this ECU with.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
The fuel pump in the engine bay will run if I jump the load pins on the relay socket labeled "fuel pump". The feed pump in the tank will not get power. The fuse is fine on #14 and I've swapped tested relays for the glove box panel but still no juice at the feed pump. What am I missing? The car will run on ether spray so I don't believe it's the anti-theft. Finding wiring diagrams for the non-turbo has been tough.
There is no OEM fuel pump in the engine bay -- only one pump, in the gas tank, from the factory.
If it starts on ether your wiring, and ecu are good. If jumping the fuel pump at the tank doesn't make it work then it needs to be replaced -- stay away from pro-parts sweden unless you like no-quality control chi-laysian parts guaranteed to last at least one day longer than the warranty...
Get an airtex or walbro replacement pump and make damn sure you use SUBMERSIBLE high pressure fuel hose. Europarts f'ed me on the wrong hose with my pump and claimed it was my fault?!
Yes, maybe I am still bitter...
But only for fun!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a relay in the engine bay labelled "Fuel Pump" beside the "Main Relay". When I jump it on the socket a pump runs down on the firewall there.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
There is a relay in the engine bay labelled "Fuel Pump" beside the "Main Relay". When I jump it on the socket a pump runs down on the firewall there.
Can you post a pic?
Where do the lines go on this pump?

My first guess is you're hearing the anti-lock brake pump.

On the '97 the "main" & "fuel pump" relays are behind the fuse panel in the passenger foot-well.
Pretty sure the '94 is set up the same way...

To test your fuel pump I would not jump the relay -- saab (sometimes) has two many cross connections to it's relays... Instead, jump a wire between the brake light circuit and the fuel pump on the fuse panel itself by removing the fuses and joining with a "jumper wire".

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This relay and fuse box is at the driver side firewall. The box cover has main relay, fuel pump and ABS fuses. The cover looks original so I am a bit co fused. I could not see the pump but could hear it down under where the ECU hangs.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
This relay and fuse box is at the driver side firewall. The box cover has main relay, fuel pump and ABS fuses. The cover looks original so I am a bit co fused. I could not see the pump but could hear it down under where the ECU hangs.
Yes, that's "a" main relay. (not the "start" relay)
No, that is NOT the fuel pump relay -- that is the ABS pump relay. That pump (is a high dollar pos) can only handle running 45 sec at a time -- more and you risk burning up a very expensive part!

re-read post #12

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's so nice of them to mis-label the fuse box lid. Thanks. I'll focus on the other panel. Supposed to be cooler this Saturday so hopefully I can get a full day with it at the shop.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
It's so nice of them to mis-label the fuse box lid. Thanks. I'll focus on the other panel. Supposed to be cooler this Saturday so hopefully I can get a full day with it at the shop.
Ummm, I'll bet that fuse box lid ONLY says "pump" and YOU conjectured the fuel association...

It's the same add on fuse/relay panel for the C-900 when abs brakes were added to it as well...
In fact, both cars share the same rear caliper if you're scrounging used parts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It does say "Fuel Pump" on it or I would have ignored it and focused on the dash wiring block. I'll get a pic of it all next trip out to work on it and include some video segments of the confusion in my next video. Makes me wonder if someone swapped lids on it from another model. I've also seen "feed pump" and "fuel pump" on several 9000 fuel wiring diagrams I've seen online so it seemed possible to have a low pressure return-loop feed pump and high pressure rail pump. I know MPI does not typically have a 'high pressure rail' but some autos do have a tank pump and a rail fuel pump. I'm still learning the 9000 coming from pickups and several years of performance R&D on the GDi Genesis Coupe.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
My wife's Minicooper has the two fuel pumps set-up like that. Fortunately the Saab fuel system isn't as "over-engineered" as some of the wiring...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually like the separated distribution blocks but I've not really gotten into the harness yet. Wanna talk about over-engineering lets spend a couple hours on the Genesis Coupe. LOL Also, most of the wiring diagrams and pinouts are wrong for the coupe. It's never a good thing when you build a car for 4 years, stop building it, redo some components but not others, change wiring and engine control, but don't update the service manual based on reality from the previous model. :mad: It took us longer to sort out the engine control wiring on the GDi ECU than to set up a MoTeC to run it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey @Banman I reviewed the video I posted on YT where I'm showing the engine bay and you are correct. It says "Pump Relay" not "Fuel Pump". I mistakenly though it was related to the fuel system! I'll check for the anti-theft module and try to jump the circuit on Saturday. I still have to get another fuel pump but I can test it without it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts