SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just became a proud owner of a 900s, everything is perfect except i cant get it into reverse. the stick goes into position like it should but it revs like its in neutral. i have all 5 gears working but no reverse. please help! thanks--SCZ

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, i immediately checked out the space under the boot, there is a plastic clip that i assume is a guide for reverse gear and it had fallen off somehow. i put it back on and its stayed in position since.

ill try aligning it, thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The clip fell due to vibration....you have "wear and tear"...a re-newal of bushings may be in order.....still far cheaper than replacing the reverse gearset...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clip fell due to vibration....you have "wear and tear"...a re-newal of bushings may be in order.....still far cheaper than replacing the reverse gearset...

forgive me, im good with everything but transmissions, are bushings a DIY thing or is that a specialty saab shop thing? i got this car for next to nothing and im trying to keep it that way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When mine lost reverse gear i needed a new linkage and rear engine mount. Mine constantly jumped out the moment the clutch was released. Since changing those parts i've not had any trouble since.

Mine doesn't jump out, ive read alot of people have that happen tho.. my dad said possibly "it could be slipping on the spline"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you ever resolve this? Just got a 95 and all it does when going in reverse i let out the clutch and grinds.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yes! i solved it by changing the transmission. since i posted this, I've had two saabs. a 1994 900 manual. and a 1999 9-3 manual. If i were you and considering a new trans i would go for a 96 and up used transmission with lower miles. they changed the shifter linkage to a newer bushing style and its smoother. my 1994 900 got a 98 trans and shifted smooth until i hit a cadillac. the 1999 actually leaked and locked up on me at speed and i got a trans from a 2002 convertible which has a different engine mount but it still fits. and while youre doing this change the clutch (you dont wanna take it apart more than once trust me i have). Also, important! you probably have a cable clutch instead of hydraulic, so you can toss the hydro parts off the newer trans and just hook up your cable parts from your old one. In case it does happen to be hydro do yourself a headsmacking favor and do not put any undue pressure or force onto the spiral line going inside the trans when disconnecting unless you bought a replacement already, i broke mine and smacked my head. Theres quite a few writeups on all of this stuff for our wonderful cars on various saab sites. I know youre probably avoiding changing the trans but theres either a bad syncro or stripped gear floating around inside. 5th and reverse like to go, i recall a saab tech telling me that because they are at the very edge of the trans they get lubricated less and heat takes them out especially if youre running low on fluid. sorry for writing a novel but i like to help every saab person who asks because its a pain in the butt learning from the ground up! happy saabing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts