SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hammered down in Drive to enter Merritt Pkway and transmission would not shift to 3rd. I had to drive home in high gear. Next day, transmission worked fine. Garage says change transmission oil. 96000 miles. Is transmission dying? Thanks Howard

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
would not shift to 3rd
What were the symptoms? Did it slip or anything?

I hammered down
I assume that you mean you put it to the floor and engaged the kickdown?

GM's 700R4 trans used to have a problem with the TV cable valve sticking which would cause similar symptoms. I've never heard of the Borg Warner trans having this problem but I don't know that much about them.

When it wouldn't upshift were you still "hammering it"? It sounds like somthing stuck or perhaps the tv cable is out of adjusment. :roll:
Changing the fluid is a good thing to do and should be done on a regular schedule, check your manual for the intervals.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
HOWARD KELTING said:
I hammered down in Drive to enter Merritt Pkway and transmission would not shift to 3rd. I had to drive home in high gear.
Um...third is high gear. I'm not sure what you mean; please clarify:confused:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
HOWARD KELTING said:
Thanks. I meant I had to drive in low.
Then I'd agree with jetman--your problem is most likely due to the front band needing adjustment.

There are instructions on this site for DIY, but you could ask a trans shop that does imports how much they would charge. It may not be that expensive--let us know what you decide to do:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts