SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my coupe is almost done and it's going to be time to start on my convertible. It's a 94 automatic with a 16V turbo. It was a parts car for the previous owner - blown tranny. He sold off the turbo and the cylinder head. Now I got myself another C900 parts car, but it's an 89 5spd 16V. Now I know I can swap that 5 spd and I can swap the engine into it, but can I keep it a turbo? I realize the 16V has higher compression ratio, but figured I would ask if there is a way to keep it a turbo. It looks like everything would just bolt up to it. Would switching to a 2.1 head change the compression enough? Do I need turbo camshafts? The convertible still has the exhaust manifold, intercooler, piping, computer etc...

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I'd probably start reading here:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. I did read a number of the threads. Some do suggest changing the head, however they do not clarify if that is just the casting, or also camshafts. Seeing that this is not something I car to do twice, I figured I would ask the question. Obviously a common question, maybe it should be added as a permanent sticky to the beginning of this forum.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I think the reason you'll find these threads are vague is because there are innumerable ways to tackle this. There isn't one right way, and every possible way has been tackled at one point or another between here, saabnet, and saabplanet.

An engine is an engine - the same rules apply to all of them. Your static CR, peak boost, fuel requirements, cam profiles, and ignition timing are all variables that you control. You just need to choose a combination that gets you the results you want.

If the question is "Can I just plug an NA motor into a turbo chassis" the answer is no, you can't. Not for long anyway. If that worked, Saab probably would have done it. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts