SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 17 year old son drives a 900S and overall it's been a very reliable $600 car, but lately it's been running poor and we've invested that much again in parts.

It starts great but you can tell there's a miss even at idle. On the road it is very sluggish and has no power. The cat was plugged so we replace the exhaust, CEL indicated Mass Airflow Sensor so we replaced that. We have put in new plugs and found a used coilpack. It's running worse than ever and the mileage has dropped from 25 mpg to about 15 mpg. CEL comes on occaisionally and when it does the power drops to about nothing.

There are no Saab shops around. We've had it to a regular mechanic a couple of times but his scan tool does not go back to '94 and neither does Auto Zone. We checked the CEL by grounding out pin 6 and counting the flashes.

Could it be the used coilpack is bad? Any other tips? Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Have you checked the ignition wires? When they started to go back on my previous 900 V6, the engine started missing and cutting out. Not sure what it did to the gas mileage, because I took it to the mechanic right away.

To check ignition wires, you can run the engine in the dark with the cover off, then spray a light mist of Water or Windex over the engine. If you see fireworks, you have bad wires...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Have you checked the ignition wires? When they started to go back on my previous 900 V6, the engine started missing and cutting out. Not sure what it did to the gas mileage, because I took it to the mechanic right away.

To check ignition wires, you can run the engine in the dark with the cover off, then spray a light mist of Water or Windex over the engine. If you see fireworks, you have bad wires...
This is a better test than just measuring the resistance, wires live and die with their insulation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts