SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my left rear brake has been sticking for a while. I've tried to fix it once; I took the wheel off and the piston wouldn't rotate back in. I managed to get the piston completely out, polished it with emory cloth and the wheel spun freely again. But now it's finally time to replace the caliper. Of course, when I go to the dealer, they explain to me that there are two possible calipers for the car, a 15" and a 16". They also tell me that there is no way of telling which one I have from the VIN :eek:. Does anyone have any idea which caliper I need to purchase? Has anyone else had this issue?

2003 9-3 SS Linear - Launch

·
Registered
204 Posts
If the dealership is referring 15" or 16" as the wheel size that came with the car. Then you would need the 16" wheel cleareance caliper. I don't think the 9-3ss was equipped ever with 15" wheels, only the previous 9-3s did.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The size refers to the rear disc size but I don't remember the rear disc size being 15 or 16 inches. If you are Linear, your rear disc size should be the smaller of the 2 sizes and there are only 2 sizes. The larger size is for the Vector and Aero.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't think 15 or 16 inch is referring to the disc size. Cause if it is, thats one monstrous braking system and that would require a rim/wheel size of over 20" for clearance. :eek:

The rear disc for the Linear is 278mm or (10.94")

The Arc and Vector/Aero rear disc are 292mm or (11.496")

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that I don't have 15 or 16 inch rotors. My wheels are 16"! Wouldn't the VIN tell the dealer that I have a Linear and therefore be able to tell me which part I need if there was a difference? As far as I know, the only major difference between the Linear with the Launch package and the Arc is the high-output turbo (t->T). I think I may have the larger brake size. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The '03 Linear had smaller rotors and could fit 15" wheels. The Arc and Vector had larger rotors and required at least 16".

So I'd say you would go for the smaller size.

·
Registered
35 Posts
it can be confusing. I have a 2003 Linear that came with the 16 inch rims. I have the non vented (smaller diameter) rear rotors/calipers which correspond to the 15". I'm not sure why Saab refers to them this way, probably to confuse people and drive them to the dealership for $500 brake jobs. The rear brakes which i did yesterday where the most cumbersome brake job ever(and i've done about 30 on many different cars for friends and family) and of course one of the caliper boots had a tear so the car is up on jacks in the garage right now.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts